+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Hearted Tool Gloat

Default Light Hearted Tool Gloat

I have been to playing with the idea of picking up an Ott light for some time, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $70 on a light. I went to Hobby Lobby for something else today and found a new Ott Light Task lamp on clearance for $20.00 marked down from $69.99. It probably won't help my tying much, but at least I'll be able to see how they look in full spectrum lighting

Jim Smith

Ok folks, don't let Jim "snow" ya! I have been the recipient of some of his flies. They are both beautifully tied AND durable!! He ties very well, thank you.
    BTW Jim....Nice find on the light.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I can also testify to the fact that Jim's flies are first class all the way around. I think that Jim is just naturally modest about his tying skills and really isn't trying to hustle us into some kind of fly tying contest for money. 8T

Mike and Ned,

You are both too kind in your assessment of my fly tying abilities. I tie flies for the fish. When I first started tying flies, I really wanted to tye cool looking flies like the ones I saw in the books and magazines, especially the bass flies. Well, I got so I could do that okay, but then I found that some of the coolest looking flies didn't catch that many fish for me. I then started experimenting with different patterns and keeping track of which patterns caught the most fish for me where I fish. Now I mainly tie six or seven patterns that may not look like much to me, but the fish sure seem to like them. I also like to tie flies that last a long time. A fly seems to get more effective the more fish I catch with it. It may get uglier, but it seems to catch more fish. I hate to loose a fly that has been catching fish for me, even if I have another dozen that look exactly the same (to me) in my fly box. Even worse, I hate it when a fly starts to come apart on me when it's catching fish. That's one of the reasons I started making my own dubbing brushes. I use them in several of the 6 or 7 patterns I tie and they make extremely durable flies.

Will the Ott light make me a better tier, I doubt it, but I'm a sucker for a deal and this was a good deal. I only started the thread in case some other folks considering an Ott light might want to check out their local Hobby Lobby clearance section for a similar deal.

Tight lines.

Jim Smith

Jim,

The Ott light made it so much easier to see what I was doing so I knew where/when I was screwing up; worth it.

Regards,
    Scott

Bass_Bug Guest

Whats $70 Jim? 3 of your dubbiing twisters should cover that!

Jim;
    Lowe's has the rechargable Ott Lite for 35 bucks, MSRP $129.99

I love my OTT light and mine was even better I won it in one of FAOL's monthly drawings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

I also put off buying an Ott light, just to pricey but purchased one a few months ago on clearance. It doesn't really change my flytying that much but it is a really good light. I think if you want to be a better tyer, upgrading your tools is a good way to start.

Tim

you can go to HobbyLobby .com and sign up for their weekly ads - which include either a 40 % or 50 % coupon off of one item - each week.
    It's a nice way to be able to afford some nicer things from there.

I wouldn't want to try and tie without my Ott light - it sure makes it easier on my eyes!
    Last edited by ggmiller; 05-25-2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Ott light comment

+ Reply to Thread