+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carp leaders

Default Carp leaders

I am using a 6 weight and I usually use a 5x leader. My impression was that the strong leaders are beter suited to heavier flies. I am trying to catch a 25LB carp, and I know it can be done with a 5x leader, but it is the US record koi and i would rather not loose it. What is the heaviest leader I can use? I am casting tiny corn flies and stealth is key.

I had some one from the carpanglersgroup.com forum tie me a couple of corn flies. They are really simple. THey are just bright yellow material tied around the shaft, thick enough so it looks like a corn kernal. Soak it in the juice at the bottom of the sweetcorn can before using. I reccomend first chumming with corn. Its a wet fly, and i have caught trout on it too.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 08 February 2006).]

Im sorry if I made a mistake, I meant i am throwing light corn flies. I was just wondering if heavier leaders still cast a light fly well. The carp are very shy. By the way, dont be surprised if im not making sense, i just started fly fishing about a few weeks ago

Well I usually go after it with a baitcasting reel and 65LB PP, but I figured catching it on a fly rod would be a challange.

3X is my max. I almost always use 4X, though, and I've landed 20-pounders on that. A friend of mine got a 20 on 6X.

Here's another website you might want to check out. This guy loves fly fishing for carp. He also talks about carp in his "Ask Ian" section.

[url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/species.html:5e0be]http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/species.html[/url:5e0be]

My usual carp fare is 0X - 3X. On rare occasion I will go lighter, usually because the fly won't fit on heavier tippet.

It matters not to me, but if you soak a fly in some scent (like a sweet corn can) I do not think it qualifies as a fly fishing record, but rather its bait fishing. Personally I'd love to tie into a carp that size with anything.

jed

Im not going for the fly record. THis is this actuall all tacke US record koi. its in a 2 acre pond.

Anthony,

Simple question do you want to hook the carp or land it? If you want to land the fish you want to step up your terminal gear. I would recommend that you use a tippet with a breaking strain of no less than 8lb (sorry the 'X' system has never really caught on in the UK!). I would imagine that this fish is cruising whilst feeding. Make this work to your advantage and present the fly where you think the koi will see it as it cruises past. Imagine that you are setting an ambush. This way there is no concern about the leader/tippet screwing up the presentsation.

All the best,

Ben

Im moving to the UK then, cuz personally, i hate the "x" system.

+ Reply to Thread