+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brief outing to the Wairoa

Default Brief outing to the Wairoa

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've made it out to wet a line. My last outing, in fact, was way back when with Mike when we fished a small stream a few hours south of Auckland. This weekend, however, Vanessa and I decided to head out on Sunday with Genesta to the farmer's market in Clevedon. It's only about 40 minutes or so from home (if the traffic is good) and the weather appeared to be ok on Sunday. I packed up the 3 weight and my waders, just in case the Wairoa was fishable. I wanted to test out the new soles on my boots (had the felt removed and rubber put on; still need studs at some point I think).

Anyway, I had expected the water to be quite muddy, as the Wairoa never really runs clear, and we had just had some heavy rain the day before. But, to my surprise, it wasn't too too bad. Mind you, a mud puddle on the road wouldn't look too too bad to me since it's been so long! I set up the rod with a minature Mickey Finn on the point (size 14, wing tied with hackle fibres) and a starling hackled peacock herl spider (with red head and tag; have no idea what it's called) on the dropper (size 14 as well). Vanessa and Genesta came down to watch. Vanessa didn't feel much like fishing, but Genesta was all set to get in the river to join daddy! Although the Wairoa is just a small stream, there are some pretty deep holes if you're not careful, so Vanessa decided to just leave me in the water and take Genesta to the market. Just before they got back to the car I hooked a small rainbow on the spider. Vanessa brought Genesta back down the path and Genesta held the rod while I brought the fish in to release a small rainbow of about 15 cm (6 inches). That's pretty typical for the Wairoa.

After that I worked my way up the stream. Not a lot of action. The water level was up to what I think is a good level. In the summer months it gets pretty low, and slim and weeds grow over a lot of the rocks. Anyway, in the few hours I had I hooked 2 more (one on the mini Mikey Finn, and another on a size 12 Parmachene Belle.

It was reallly nice to get out for a change. I've been really busy at work lately, and things don't look like they'll lighten up any time soon so it's hard to say when I'll be able to sneak off to some river again.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Jeff,

Glad to hear you got out, mate. Any day spent fishing is better than a day spent working (or in this case, shopping). LIke the sounds of that spider with the red tag and head. I'll be having a few of those in with my kit this summer.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Jeff, great to hear you got out for a flick! Is that farmers market worth the drive, is it every Sunday?
    I managed a day out with Quentin last Friday on the Waihou (by the main road) and we had a ball, mostly small fish but a couple of larger ones as well, they where taking nymphs and drys, didn't seem to matter what pattern. I think your wee wets would have gone down well.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hi REE,

I don't know where I got that pattern from. The tag is just a few turns of the red thread before the herl body starts. It does look good, and the fish agree!

- Jeff

Hi Mike,

The farmer's market out there is usually pretty good. Some nice meats and veggies, and berries when they're in season. It is every Sunday. We checked via google and decided to go (I thought it was only every other Sunday for some reason). Also, there's some craft sales and such in a hall beside a small playground in town (by the traffic circle) where you can get some great meat pies. Had one of the best steak and kidney pies I've had in a long time there.

Glad to hear you got out as well. Waihou always produces lots of small ones, but it's good to see some of the bigger fish show up too. If the sun is out and it's at all warm, I find that the small spiders work really well in the Waihou. The Waihou's clear water makes them very easy for the fish to spot. I almost always pick up a couple in the two pools beside the parking lot using a dark blue spider with a black hackle (I call it a Dark Betty, as it's a darker version of a blue spider that Betty Hiner showed me via FAOL a few years ago).

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread