+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Hat Stretcher

Default Fishing Hat Stretcher

Hats don't fit like mine? Sometimes mine can give me a head ache if they shrink. Here's a simple hat stretcher you can make.

1. Cut 2 half moon shapes from a 2x4. 61/2 in. x 31/2in. hgt.
    2. Drill 3/8 in. holes centered in the long side of the shapes to a depth of 2 in.
    3. Loose fit a 3/8 in. x 51/2 in. all thread rod, 2 nuts and flat washers in the holes for adjustment.
    Once you have it sized to your head, note the space between the 2 shapes and you can match up all your hats for a comfortable fit.
    Cost me nuttin'!
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Smile

Or you could pose for a picture with a fly fishing celebrity and suggest exchanging hats for the photo.

Bud-a-bing, Dave

Blog Entries

looks good, Much better than using the dip it in the stream and wear it until dry method, especially in January.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Hat stretching comes naturally to me. When I fool a large trout into partaking of my offering, my head swells ,AND, any hat I may be wearing at the time adjusts accordingly. Almost without pain.

Mark
    PS: But thanks for the tip just in case I get skunked

I like the soak the hat put it on your head and catch a big fish method. Down side the 3rd step is unreliable.

I think is will make a duplicate for my winter dress hat, good design, and I have all the components in my work area..
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 05-11-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse, I was thinking the same thing about my fedora. The fishing hats fit fine, but that fedora is a tad small. I like the feel of the fishing hats better, but for some reason the wife doesn't want me wearing them to church.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

The probably I have is my pumpkin is shaped like a watermelon, long and not so wide. Back when wearing hats was very common you could buy "Long Oval" hats. Those one size fits hats, hardly ever do, I wear about a 7 1/2, which is large than most of those will accommodate. I believe a little moisture and Hairwing's invention will help with the shape.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    The probably I have is my pumpkin is shaped like a watermelon, long and not so wide. Back when wearing hats was very common you could buy "Long Oval" hats. Those one size fits hats, hardly ever do, I wear about a 7 1/2, which is large than most of those will accommodate. I believe a little moisture and Hairwing's invention will help with the shape.
    I hear ya. According to Mr. Resistol, I have an "extra-long oval" head.

If you're stretching a fur felt hat like a decent Stetson, Beaver Brand, Resistol, etc. hold it over steam for a minute or two before stretching. Has essentially the same effect as soaking your hat in the water and wearing until dry.

You may need to do something with the leather sweat band if you need to stretch it a lot.

Wool felt or low grade fur felt can sometimes turn into a mush mess when steaming so be careful. But a good 3X - 10X fur felt should be fine.

I have a number of Stetson and Beaver Brand hats (never ask in front of my wife she thinks all brown hats and black hats look the same) and have stretched a couple to fit better.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

10. Default

I went to a Antique (Junque) Shoppe and found a hat stretcher just like my Dad used on his fedoras back in the 40s and 50s. I also use the hat stretcher on my old sized Brooklyn Dodgers cap. Yes once upon a time the Dodgers played baseball in Brooklyn! If you don't know what a fedora is then you a probably a bit younger than I am.

+ Reply to Thread