+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Smallies...oh, and a short report.

Default Questions on Smallies...oh, and a short report.

First off, the report...Columbia River, between Hood River and The Dalles:

This was my first time ever even targeting these guys on the fly, but we did get into a few...mostly small, but enough to put a really nice bend in the rod. We were fishing intermediate lines with weighted flies (big fuglies with lots of rubberlegs) and varied the retrieve until we found something that worked. Most fish were caught in around 4 feet or so of water and all were caught within a two hour time period (we didn't even get any hits before or after--possible temperature spike?) I forgot to take a water temp as well...The gear guys were definitely doing much better than us, but we were also dealing with a hellacious wind that they didn't have much of a problem with (that, coupled with the fact that they can get their lures in front of many more bass in a given period of time)

obligatory invasive pic:

My questions are for those who have had a bit of success with this, is there a water temp where things just turn on? I know that they are in pre-spawn mode, but I really don't know a ton about their life cycle or the best way to approach this type of fishing. I did LDR a really nice fat female and saw several caught by some of the gear guys...so I know they're there.

Thanks,
    Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

One of the biggest factors that effect smallies are fronts. Trout, may shut down temporarily before/after a front but smallies can shut down or get really sluggish for days. I've noticed, on inland rivers they seem to get pretty active as soon as the temps move into the low to mid 60's. The lake run fish we get (they follow the spring steelhead, to spawn) start getting active when the water temps are in the upper 50's, low 60's. I've always done best (generally speaking) using very slow retrieves, fishing right near the bottom. When they're moving in to spawn, then various retrieves have worked. Just gotta figure out what they like that day. They are a blast on the fly!

Hello clarkman, down here on the Umpquas i seem to do best some mornings...other times it's mid day then again towards evening. 55 degree water gets the smallies here more active. I try not to fish very deep since i like sight fishing so much...i use unweighted leech patterns (boa yarn leeches lately) and also small minnow patterns with some shine in them. Sometimes i'll cast to a drop off, let a minnow pattern sink a couple of feet and then three fast strips and rest. I don't know how many times that tech has gotten a strike or a fish.

Another fun way to get bigger smallies is earlier in the morning by casting down and across...yep, just like you do for steel...then guide the unweighted fly close to structure...rocks, snags, brush...anything where fish can hold and hang on...those strikes can be vicious and surprising. Again i like to keep my fly in sight so i can see the take. I'll actually tease fish by speeding up just as they're about to take and that really tics them off. Also, on the swing casts where your fly isn't very deep, don't forget to give it some 'hang time'...again just as you might for steelhead. Ok, that might be enough to get you going. Oh, i hear parts of the John Day are loaded with huge smallies. Of course so is the mainstem Umpqua and as soon as the water settles down i'll be all over them !

Cheers and good luck,

MontanaMoose

Thanks for the insight...There are several spots on the Willamette that look really "bassy" that I'm hoping to check out later in the week. That was just too much fun once we started hooking a few...even those little guys fight like no other fish I've caught (for their size).
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Smallies are great on the fly rod..Early in the season slow and low seems to work best, after the spawn I prefer topwaters, or minnow type streamers to slow and low, but youve got to give em what they want. Good Luck.

is there a particular time of day that you guys find to be most productive?

Yer welcome clarkman, well i seem to do better earlier but the earliest i've tried is about an hour after dawn. Evening can be ok to good but earlier in the morning on an overcast warm day (water temp up over 55 too) i seem to hook more and bigger. So far i've gone about 3.5 to 4 lb....and that one was actually topwater and at about 2pm so go figure. It used to be better here too so i think they're cyclical depending on freeze etc. and the Umpqua partially froze for the first time in 10 years that i've seen. Here's something i always hope for...when the smallies 'ball up bait' and slash it up...i tye on a dirty cream and brown deceiver looking fly but that has a spun deer hair head trimmed to push water...then i cast into the bait ball and rip it back out of there with long strips while the rod tip is right on the water...if i get a chase, i'll raise the rod tip and 'hop' the deceiver (unweighted of course) then drop the rod right away and rip it again...this can make for some really cool strikes/takes...i even had a good sized smallie slam into my leg while i was trying that.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 05-05-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Another fun way to get bigger smallies is earlier in the morning by casting down and across...
    That has to be the most enjoyable way of fishing them! Around here, it's usually in the evenings when it's most productive. They move into the riffs to feed on the bugs, just like the trout do but they're usually not as selective. If it looks like food they usually hit it. Time of day really depends. I've had excellent action first thing in the AM one day and not move a fish til afternoon the next. You pretty much have to experiment.

Default Smallmouth Fly Fishing; by Tim Holschlag

I bought Tim Holschalag book after hearing him talk at the"Great Water Expo" in Bloomington MN, a couple years ago! I thought I knew how to catch Smallmouth Bass on a fly rod. But after reading Tim's Book, I learned a lot that I never really knew.

I will share the 8 things you should know about Smallmouth (from Tim's Book)

1. THEY'RE NOT LIKE TROUT
    The two species are very different and require different strategies.
    2. ADAPTABLE SPECIES
    More widespread and adaptable than most realize
    3. THEY LIKE IT HOT
    They do well in warm water, grow fastest in 80-plus-degree water.
    4. THEY MOVE A LOT
    In some waters smallmouth travel many miles annually
    5. VERSATILE FEEDERS
    They eat whatever is easiest to capture and most nutritious, seldom insects
    6. CLARITY IS KEY
    Water clarity is one of the most important angling factors
    7. ACTIVE AT MIDDAY
    Temperature, clarity and oxygen levels can all cause a hot midday bite.
    8. NOT LARGEMOUTH
    Smallmouth predominate in rivers and rocky, clear lakes

Tim say that the two top rivers for smallmouth in Oregon State are the John Day River, and the Umpqua River. In Washington State, try the Columbia River near the border with Oregon, Yakima River, and Grande Ronde River (SE corner of Washingtion State)

Better yet buy the book, goes for $29.95 retail price. Published by Smallmouth Angler, 2309 Grand St. NE, Minneapolis MN 55418, Phone: 612-781-3912.

Book has 15 Chapters of detailed instuction; 40 Best Flies (recipes & haow-to); 100 Top spots (maps, details, tips).

Tim Holschalag really knows what he talks and writes about! ~Parnelli
    In Washington

great info, thanks a bunch. I won't be able to get this weekend as I HAVE to fish the Metolius for lowly trout & mountain bones for three days but I'll certainly put some of this info to use next weekend...

a little sample of some fuglies I've been tying up to go with the clousers I use:

~Randy

+ Reply to Thread