+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice On A New Rod/Reel

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy041486 View Post
    I am a hardcore trophy bass fisherman, but I am trying to get into fly fishing.
    You may want to check out the Sage Bass rods that come in 7'-11" length to be tournament legal. To meet your $300 budget you would probably need to search out a used one. I thought another rod maker came out with a bass rod too, but i cant remember who.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Many options here.The Remington Predator rod in 6wt is about $199,a Sci Anglers Headstart line is around $40,and a Pflueger Medalist reel is around $35.Another option for panfish and bass is a vintage glass rod.I picked up 2 glass rods last year,a Fenwick and a Shakespere Wonderod.Each rod cost about $50 and I got an American made Medalist 1494 for $35 and these are great for what you want to do.

I'd like to suggest a Redington RS4 in a 6wt. I'd pair it with a decent but inexpensive reel of your choosing and on that I would put either a Scientific Anglers GPX in 6wt. or a RIO Grand in 6wt.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

I'll throw in my two pennies here...

First off, I have one of the "mean greens" from Wally world and it has been my best and luckiest bass rod. It started out as an 8'6 two piece and then became an 8'4 when it had a disagreement with the truck door. I liked it so much that I retrofitted a nice reel seat on it and I still use it when I need an extra edge against basses.

Lately however I have really enjoyed my Reddington 9' 6wt four piece. It has a very fast/stiff action. If I didn't have such a fondness to my lucky Sci Ang rod I'd use the Reddington for bass. I know it can huck big flies too.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

If you only fly fish with one fly rod...you will get very good with it. Suggest the Orvis 9' 6wt combo at Wal-Mart for approx $115. I have caught tons of trout with it and know it is a good outfit. You can always upgrade later. Why start out spending so much money in a beginning venture when you can introduce yourself to the sport more economically. After having one for awhile you will learn more about fly fishing.....and therefore be more knowledgeable about what you want to upgrade to.....when the time comes. I would have suggested the Albright Combo Closeout but the only one they have left for $59 is an 8/9wt. Perhaps that may suit you. I dunno.

I did not know that Wal mart had their own brand of fly fishing gear, I have never seen any in their Minnesota Stores. I do know that we have a Sponsors Page, and the Sponsors are very special at help members of FAOL. St. Croix is a reputable fly rod company, so is Albright, Cortland, Elk Horn! Then there is Al & Gretchen Beatty at "BT Fly Fishing Products", as well as "Temple Fork Outfitters"!

All of the above have the "Seal of Approval" by Deanna Travis (Publisher of FAOL). That is why all of the above are sponsors on FAOL, and all the others are not! ~Parnelli

I have two St. Croix Rods, and my first and favorite sill (after 15 years of fly fishing is a Cortland).

I know that Al & Gretchen Beatty at "BT Fly Fishing Products", will fit you correctly, without emptying your piggy bank. ~Parnelli

Don't underestimate the effectiveness of a flyrod for bass fishing. using it in the slop and pads is very effective. i use a 9wt and throw either floaters such as hair bugs or cork to the pockets. this is very effient since you do'nt have to reel in to hit the next pocket. also use the 9wt to throw sub-surface such as a leech, bunny strip, or clouser.

so for this type of fishing a 9' 9wt is good. i also use an 8wt, because i have one, but find the 9wt easier to use. a good reel is nice but not an absolute necessity. i had a sci angle system 2 and a lamson velocity 4. drag is essential in that you need enough not to slip on the initial hook set and when you ned to drag 10 lbs of weeds in. but 9ou do not need a super smooth drag as you will not get long runs. as for a line, a bug taper or pike taper will through the bug, heavy fies you need for this type of fishing.

as for the sream/river fishing for small bass and giils, what other have said will be good.

+ Reply to Thread