+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegills: naturals or bright flies?

Default Bluegills: naturals or bright flies?

Sitting here pondering the important things in life....

Everyone has their own way of looking at things, as well as their own preferred method of fishing for bluegills. Some folks use nothing but poppers, some use standard "match the hatch" trout flies, and lots of "in between"... You get the idea.

I find it interesting to look at the scraps in my trash sack from time to time. Sometimes it's full of very bright colors, sometimes naturals. It tells a lot about what I've been up to!

When it comes to bluegill flies, do you tend to tie more natural-colored stuff, bright eye-catchers, or are you somewhere in the middle?

I start with the orange or yellow spider but if the fish are feeding on the surface and ignoring them there always some irresistables and wulfs in the box as well as some midges and caddis.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I start with the bright stuff, then if nothing ill tone it down some, right now pink and white is filling the freezer.
    gary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    When it comes to bluegill flies, do you tend to tie more natural-colored stuff, bright eye-catchers, or are you somewhere in the middle?
    Yes. It depends on the situation, but I keep a good mix of them all. Most often, though, I find myself primarily on the brown/olive/black range. Bright yellow and pink are occasionally the ticket.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I find that it often depends on the water conditions and clarity. Black with some grizzly contrast is a go-to color combination for me as it works in a wide variety of water conditions. I will switch to yellow or white as it gets closer to dusk or if the darker colors aren't producing. If I look at my fly box, the bluegill/bream flies tend to be more of the darker/natural colors and the Crappie flies are bright oranges, purples, whites and chartruese.

Jim Smith

Darker natural tones in darker water/darker days and bright flashy stuff on sunny days/clear water. But, having said that, I kind of enjoy matching the hatch when there is a particular bug going on. For instance, right now around here the black caddises are coming off nicely so I'm going to sit down this evening and tie some black elk hairs. In June when the hexes start it'll be big yellow dry flies fished at dusk and predawn.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I also watch the water. In good clear water with good light I like the natural colors, but when the water is colored or low light I go just as bright as I can. But a quick look at my bluegill box shows a lot more of the natural colors.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Steve:
    I notice you and I have exactly the opposite approach to the situation. In cloudy water I try to present as solid a silhouette as possibly where you try to catch what little light is getting through. I know my way works for me. I think next time I might have to try yours just for the sake of the experiment and compare notes.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Naturals early in the year in cooler water. Then to the bright flies that are more attractors as the water gets warmer.
    Rick

You really gotta have both. Living in a town with numerous public ponds, I've noticed each pond has its own personality. In certain ponds, oranges or yellows work well most of the time. In others, natural colors work better. And then...there are those days when the fish decide to NOT follow their own rules.

And like Rick Z said...there is often a difference between what typically works best for early season-mid season-and late season.

Its fun trying to solve the riddle each trip. Sometimes it seems they'll take anything. Other times they can be VERY picky.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread