+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tube fly vise

Sorry for the little drift, but my question has always been "why?" What will a tube fly do that a reg fly won't? About the only thing that I keep coming up with is that if you fish a very large fly that would allow a very strong fish to gain a lot of leverage and throw the hook, I could see how that a body seperated from the hook could be useful. Tarpon fishing with a heavy fly, but please fill me in on why you like tube flies? Thanks, I need to learn something today since it's raining out and I can't go fishing.

I never have understood the concern over the vise holding a piece of wire for tube flies????? The vise is made to hold wires...they are called hooks.

The tube fly vise that some have mentioned are great but the bike spoke for less than $2.00 cant be beat. Ive tied all sizes on the spoke and never thought of buying one manufactuered for the tying. Another thing i didnt mention --you have to use a file to knotch the spoke in order to cut it to length. BILL

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Sorry for the little drift, but my question has always been "why?" What will a tube fly do that a reg fly won't? About the only thing that I keep coming up with is that if you fish a very large fly that would allow a very strong fish to gain a lot of leverage and throw the hook, I could see how that a body seperated from the hook could be useful. Tarpon fishing with a heavy fly, but please fill me in on why you like tube flies? Thanks, I need to learn something today since it's raining out and I can't go fishing.
    Ever tie a fly for a 40 inch musky--think of how big and the weight of the hook you would have to use. With a tube BIG fly small hook. Double or treble type. And then some are using them for warm water trolling and again any type hook. Another new idea is having the tube fastened up the line with a peg and use a circle hook below.Whenn the fish strike the circle hook will catch in its lip. BILL

Blog Entries

hat pins work grat from what ive been told.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaineC View Post
    hat pins work grat from what ive been told.
    Don't know why they wouldn't....recently I saw where someone just flattened the end of a wire with a hammer.

Bass_Bug Guest

Based on the bent wire shaft in the HMH starter kit, it seems like a piece of coat hanger wire is all you really need. Of course as far as that goes all one really needs for a tying vise in the first place is a pair of Vise Grips, yet we seem to think we need to spend the most we can afford on some things (like vises). So why then do some of us think $25 is outrageous for a tube kit adapter for your $100, $200, $400 tying vise???? What's wrong with this picture?

Now my question is, for those of you tying tube flies on a bicycle spoke and q-tips, how much did your vise cost retail?

Wink

$80...if it's any of your business I will be the first to admit that I have been penny wise and pound foolish.

A real tying vise makes tying easier for me than a vise grips.

And the spoke is just as easy for me to use as a dedicated attachment for tying tube flies.....oh, did I mention I have one of those attachments?....only paid $ 12 something though...in case you were wondering.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 04-25-2010 at 09:26 PM.

deon...back to your post......the above post caused me to go look in my "junk" drawer....this is a picture of just some of your choices...note the "L" shape of the end that was opposite the nut end of the spoke...also note the similarities of some things to a hat pin...things that were mentioned above...

Last edited by ducksterman; 04-26-2010 at 05:40 AM.

With a tube BIG fly small hook.
    Exactly! Also, you don't have to add additional weight (if you use the copper or brass). Also, when a fish strikes, the hook generally pops free of the tube, thus saving the fly.
    I was reading an article about the "Morrish Mouse" and the author emphasized that the biggest problem was the hook size and possible fish mortality. If you tie patterns like that, on plastic or light aluminum tubes you can add what ever size hook you want. More hooks ups with fewer wounded fish.

+ Reply to Thread