+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tube fly vise

Default tube fly vise

alright well i have only been tying flies for like a week. but i am hooked i have tied the wooly bugger, a hare s ear and a pheasant tail and the guy at the fly shop said they looked great, my first ones not so much but now i have them done and love it. i am looking into the future though and i want to tie all my steelhead patterns and some of them are tubes. should i just buy the tube flies from a fly shop or tie my own. so i was wondering what tube fly vise i should buy or what company has a tying vise that will have a exchange thing for a fly tying to a tube fly vise?

thanks,
    Deon

You do not need a special vice to tie tubes....nor do you need to buy any special adapter for your vise.....I'll let others chime in with details...but will add this.... an inexpensive source of tubes are Q-tips...the shafts of the colored ones are hollow.

Normand Guest

so duck, if you dont need a special vise or even an adapter, what do you recommend tube flies be tied on??

A bicycle spoke....actually you can use a lot of things that are shafts and allow you to jam the tube so it doesn't shift...much discussion of the subject here on FAOL in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    A bicycle spoke....actually you can use a lot of things that are shafts and allow you to jam the tube so it doesn't shift...much discussion of the subject here on FAOL in the past.
    Not all bicycle spokes are the correct outside dia for a hollow Q tips. Not all Qtips are hollow. Dollar General stores are your best bet First get the hollow Qtip then go to a bicycle shop and test the fit. Cut the spoke to the length you want using the nut end. Put it in your vice slide on the Qtip and tighten the nut. Tubes can be used forwarm water gills bass up to muskey steelhead to tarpon Bill

Hi Bill...I couldn't remember exactly who gave me the spoke idea....or I would have given you credit.....folks it was Bill....thanks Bill.

You can make different types of tube adapters but it's much easier to buy one. I use an HMH starter. They're around $27.00. I've seen a few other styles but they don't work as well. The Q Tips can also work, if you're tying lighter flies or if you want to use lead or bead chain eyes. For most of my steelehead patterns I prefer to use the copper tubes. Brass, if i'm fishing real heavy water.
    The biggest problem tying on tubes is making sure you don't build your materials up too much. Keep you thread wraps to a minimum, especially when finishing them. They're fun to tie and work very well. Good luck!

I use what is commonly called piano wire with a wad of thread and head cement on the end to hold the end of the tube. I bought the piano wire at a hobby shop that sells to the RC airplane crowd.
    Don't try to cut piano wire with a diagonal cutting pliers though, its carbon content can put a notch in your pliers. There are two ways I cut the stuff. One with the abrasive wheel on my Dremel tool. The other way is to notch it with a file and snap it. In either case, wear a pair of goggles for eye protection.

Or in a pinch, you can use a small drill bit from a hardware store.

I buy my q-tips from the dollar store, or just raid a medicine cabinet or two!

Ed
    " Fishermen, hunters, wood choppers, and others,
    spending their lives in the fields and woods,
    in a peculiar sense a part of Nature themselves,
    are often in a more favorable mood for observing her,
    in the intervals of their pursuits,
    than philosophers or poets even,
    who approach her with expectation."

Henry David Thoreau

Bass_Bug Guest

I've toyed with the idea of tube flies for a few years, just haven't made that leap yet.

I see the point of using spokes or some kind of wire but it it seems to me that if the HMH basic set is like this... ( $24.95 at http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...tube-tool.aspx)

...and it only uses a bent piece of wire, If you just want a cheap idea like a spoke, why not just pick up a piece of aluminum or brass in the right dia at Ace and make the little bend on the end? With brass, once you make the bend in th end, you could always sand the sides to have somewhat flat sides for the vice to it hold better?

On the other hand vices like the one picture are not made for to hold anything behind the jaws. My Griffin Mongoose has plenty of room to clamp a wire shaft and stay horizontal. If your vise doesn't have clearance like the one pictured, you will probably need this kind of adapter.

The HMH adapter is nice and does not cost that much. I have one and need to work on some tube flies. I have yet to really start trying them out.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread