+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted on Switch rod Reel

Default Advice wanted on Switch rod Reel

Hello everyone... I am looking for a decent reel around 150 dollars or less, for a switch rod. I have an 11.0 4 piece deer creek 8 weight switch rod, and looking to pair it up with a decent reel, that can hold spey line, with decent backing.

Any advice on a good reel to match it up would be awesome!!

(a little more back ground. I have the Sage 1600 reels that I absolutely love, but I don't think it would hold, something like Royal Wulff Ambush line with enough backing for steelhead, etc. any other combos obviously appreciated! )

Thank you everyone!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeyfly View Post
    Hello everyone... I am looking for a decent reel around 150 dollars or less, for a switch rod. I have an 11.0 4 piece deer creek 8 weight switch rod, and looking to pair it up with a decent reel, that can hold spey line, with decent backing.

Any advice on a good reel to match it up would be awesome!!

(a little more back ground. I have the Sage 1600 reels that I absolutely love, but I don't think it would hold, something like Royal Wulff Ambush line with enough backing for steelhead, etc. any other combos obviously appreciated! )

Thank you everyone!

There is a Lamson Radius 4 for sale here: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/2...and-Reels.html I think it was about $165 It might be large enough for you. The Radius was still machined but at a Konic price and the Lamson drag system is well known for being dependable. I own two of the Radius reels one in a size two and a size 3.5. I'm very happy with them.

Pflueger trion in a 9/10wt size holds a spey style line on a 8wt very nice. I used it on mine for a couple years, and you can get it new on ebay for about $80 which is a nice bonus.

Steve

I have the same exact rod and presently I have the running line and AFS shooting head with a small amount of backing loaded on an old Pfleuger reel and it works fine. This was the only reel that I had available and I wanted to start playing around with the rod and learn the casts. The only problem is that it isn't a large arbor so it takes a little more effort to reel in the line. It will be replaced with something better real soon.

I will be fishing in Alaska this fall and they tell me I need about 200 feet of backing at a minimum so I am leaning strongly towards the Ross CLR -- which cost more than the 165 you are looking at spending. I have looked also G. Loomis that has a larger reel that I am sure is made by the same company that the Pfleuger Trione is made by -- as the guts look exactly the same (same for Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor). I think the G Loomis was in your price range.

The main thing is to be sure the reels holds the amount of line you have to pack around--- especially if you are thinking about the thicker Skagit type lines. If you ask the fly shops they usually have a 2 handed casting guy in the shop who can also help direct you

The TFO Prism 10/11 might just be the ticket. At $99.85 the price is pretty good too.

I've been using Okuma Integrity 10/11 reels with my two handers for several years now, with no complaints.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have a 1990 Trion, which is the 9/10 on an 8 wt single hander and if I wanted a Trion on a 2 hander I would opt for the 1912 with the larger backing capacity: http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/produ...ducts.php?p=29 Nice reels, I've had two.

I fish the 6wt switch version of that rod and like a Lamson Velocity 3.5, and sometimes I even fish it with a Lamson Velocity 4. I like the capacity of those reels for a compact skagit head, which is a seriously bulky line. Konic would be a great choice, too, if price point is important.

you can get the trion on troutlet.com....a sponsor
    #10 for 111.99
    #12 for 131.99

Also you might check Albright
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...eel-9-10s.html

Call Us 800-781-7703 Category Navigation:
    Specs ITEM LINE COLOR CAPACITY WEIGHT MSRP SALE PRICE

GPR 9/10S9/10Black/Silver190/30/8.9 OZ.$189.00$79.99

Skip to Main Content ?
    Call Us 800-781-7703

Category Navigation:
    • GP Reel 9/10S

Specs ITEM LINE COLOR CAPACITY WEIGHT MSRP SALE PRICE

GPR 9/10S9/10Black/Silver190/308.9 OZ.$189.00$79.99

Want a different looking and super cool reel? Silver and black looks great. The GP 9/10 fly reel is a great cross-over reel. It's well-suited for larger fish like Permit and large Redfish. It also makes for a great two-hand fly reel.

MSRP:$189.00 Our Low Price:$79.99 </B>
    Last edited by Gemrod; 04-23-2010 at 03:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread