+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repair Slipped reel seat hardware

Default Repair Slipped reel seat hardware

Never thought I would be posting in this forum...don't even know the terms....

Noticed today that the hardware on the reel seat of my Z-Axis had slipped out about 3/8"....so I removed it totally. Incidently not a factory build.

This should be a piece of cake to repair since I've reshafted my share of golf clubs.

Will epoxy be OK to use?
    The shaft of the blank extends out about 1/2" from the wood insert so there is a space between it and the hardware...should I use enough epoxy to fill that void...it's pretty large and none was there before.

As an aside the grip of this rod has always struck me as a little larger than I like....would this without the hardware... chuck up in something easier using that stub of blank that sticks out before I repair it?

Blog Entries

i like gorilla glue and i know a few others who do as well. just dont use a ton.

ducksterman you can use about any 5min two part epoxy and it will hold just fine. No, I wouldnt fill the void in the bottom of the reel seat hardware with epoxy. It doesn't add any strength so all you'd be adding is weight (even though its minimal weight it would still be useless weight. If you want to turn the grip down a bit smaller then your correct about doing it before you put the hardware back on. You can chuck the end of the blank into a drill if you have some wood V blocks to support the rest of the butt section on But be VERY careful and dont tighten the chuck anymore than needs be. And also wrap the end of the blank with some masking tape before you grab onto it with the chuck to cushion it (wrap around it a number of times). Then use some sandpaper to turn the grip OD down to what you want.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread