+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: volcanic photographs

Normand Guest

Default volcanic photographs

what these people are going thru is mind boggling

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...llajokull.html

I do truely love the lightning pics but I pray for the people of Iceland and for their safety. It is one of those things that you never truely understand unless you experience it, and I pray I NEVER have to!!
    Wyo-Blizzard

The power of coming out of that volcano is so mind boggling and to think it is barely a pixel on the earth if seen from above.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

How about a link to a live web cam? http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajoku...thorolfsfelli/ I was fishing east of the volcano, sometimes I was in the ash cloud and could hear the sounds and noises from the volcano. We had to drive a few kilometers south of the volcano to get to the lake we were fishing in.
    Jon

Here is a new video of the ongoing volcanic eruption in Iceland. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZYwpf0sARk&feature=player_embedded#! It is taken from close range with lava, ash and all the sounds (noises) a volcano can make. It is the second best thing to being there!

The latest news is that there is no end in sight for this volcanic eruption. The farmers closest to the eruption are getting very depressed because their farmlands are repeatedly covered in ash. The same can be said about the towns closest to the volcano they are getting their share of ash, I think the people are mostly still in good mood though. In general the people here are okay but getting a little tired of the volcano. It is business as usual for most of us here. It is quite okay to visit Iceland despite the volcano but the volcanic ash can disrupt flight. The rules about flying in ash will most likely be made less strict soon.

What concerns me most is how will the rivers and lakes come out of this? The lake I was fishing in (May 2nd and 3rd) had some ash in it but much more ash has gone that way since then and I have not had any news about the condition of the lake recently. I hope it has not turned into a mud lake! :S
    Jon

As I understand it the ash becomes really rich soil in time....is that what the main soil there is? Volcanic in nature?
    Thanks,
    LadyFisher

jhthorisson,
    THANK YOU for that YouTube link. To say it was SPECTACULAR, would be absolutely the LOWEST rating it deserves. Thank You for sharing it . Too bad such a display of nature , although absolutely beautiful. caused and continues to cause big problems for Iceland and Europe.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    As I understand it the ash becomes really rich soil in time....is that what the main soil there is? Volcanic in nature?
    Thanks,
    LadyFisher
    Yes, it is an excellent "fertiliser" in time and small doses. At first it is bad because it covers fields and blocks out sunlight but after the grass gets through the blanket it will grow better than ever. Fluorine or fluoride (not sure which is the correct word) comes with the ash and when consumed by livestock while grazing it dies.
    Jon

It always puts me in awe when I'm reminded how beautiful nature can be even at its most devastating moments. Wow.
    Last edited by Bluegill222; 05-21-2010 at 07:28 PM.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

It's amazing how things bounce back. I was not there for the St. Helens reuption.....but have been all over the area since hunting, fishing & camping. To take in the scope of what nature can do is pretty awesome. Mind-boggling.

+ Reply to Thread