+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Materials Junkies Anonymous

Default Materials Junkies Anonymous

Hi All,

Ray's answer on the post about hackle color on the parachute Adams got me to thinking, and it dawned on me that it is time to cut back on purchasing of materials. I think it is an addiction.

The old timers didn't have a fraction of what many of us on the fly tying bulleting board have, and I have bought stuff to tie a specific pattern when I already have material that could be substituted in, and it would likely work just as well.

I am thinking about buying very little in the way of new and different materials, just replace materials that I use up, and a very limited amount of new and different materials. There just is no need to buy more stuff that takes up space, when I will use only a fraction of it in any reasonable time frame.

Time to spend more time tying with what I have and very little time looking at the new stuff. I have plenty of stuff now, I may be a materials-aholic. (Well, that is an exaduration, but I wonder if anyone else has had the same thought.)

Regards,

Gandolf

Just send me whatever you have extras/duplicates of, or no need for, then you will have room again!!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Just send me whatever you have extras/duplicates of, or no need for, then you will have room again!!!
    I hear that! I find myself on that path and I would for sure be that way if I had the money too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    Hi All,

Ray's answer on the post about hackle color on the parachute Adams got me to thinking, and it dawned on me that it is time to cut back on purchasing of materials. I think it is an addiction.

The old timers didn't have a fraction of what many of us on the fly tying bulleting board have, and I have bought stuff to tie a specific pattern when I already have material that could be substituted in, and it would likely work just as well.

I am thinking about buying very little in the way of new and different materials, just replace materials that I use up, and a very limited amount of new and different materials. There just is no need to buy more stuff that takes up space, when I will use only a fraction of it in any reasonable time frame.

Time to spend more time tying with what I have and very little time looking at the new stuff. I have plenty of stuff now, I may be a materials-aholic. (Well, that is an exaduration, but I wonder if anyone else has had the same thought.)

Regards,

Gandolf
    As they say when you leave in-patient treatment...."Good luck!".
    nam

I am with you. Trying to use up alot of what I have on hand.

Rick

Hi ... my name is Betty ... and I'm a material-aholic ....
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm just a beginner and when I look through material catalogs I'm overwhelmed...I want to get into tying as a hobby, but my wife won't allow me do to the expense...So I am left to just my dreams.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Ok I'm a material aholic LOL but I've got it I think a bit worse than most. I have all the fly tying stuff that I keep buying, BUT!!! I also still fish on the dark side so I have lead molding equipment, I bought 4 new panfish jig molds, I few months ago I bought 7000 jig hooks to re-stock the hook box, then won an auction for 1000 more on ebay that were cheap. And then I had to buy a bunch of stuff to refresh the jig tying box. My wife bought me a new UL spinning rod for my birthday but forgot the reel which she says I can order and that will add on to the craziness. Oh and I gotta buy a fish tank air blower for my fluid bed so I can powder paint my jig heads.

I think I'm done buying for the year but maybe I gottta have...................

Fatman

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhunter View Post
    I'm just a beginner and when I look through material catalogs I'm overwhelmed...I want to get into tying as a hobby, but my wife won't allow me do to the expense...So I am left to just my dreams.
    Buy some flies and show her how much you paid for them; maybe she'll relent (even though we all know none of us will ever recoup our investment in materials). If my house caught on fire, the first thing I'd do after making sure the wife and kids are safe is grab the Rubbermade tubs I keep my hackle in (sorta kidding).
    I tried to go the simpler, kinder route a few years ago, then I started fishing saltwater and found that I needed a whole new bunch of stuff for those flies. Luckily, I've resisted the temptation to fish for Atlantic Salmon or I'd open up a whole box of Pandoras.

Regards,
    Scott

OK. I admit that I have more fun gathering tying materials than I do tying. There, I feel better now.

Roy

+ Reply to Thread