+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Fish Skulls

Blog Entries

I tied up a couple today. A small skull chartreuse over white sz 4 34011 and a med shad pattern sz 4 3366. My 6 wgt will throw the small but that med will be on the 8 wgt.
    I guess ifyou wanna see'em you can go here

Fish Skulls

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawfly View Post
    ....I guess ifyou wanna see'em you can go here Fish Skulls
    I guess if we want to see them, we have to have an account on that forum? A link to a page with another link to a login page is not really conducive in sharing pics of your flies.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I'm with Clay on this one. From what I've read, they are not as heavy as the coneheads. SO

Blog Entries

wow, that is a lot of money...I cannot afford that
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I'm bluntly having trouble finding them for sale but on another board they mentioned that 6 large skulls costs $6.95. Yes, I spend a lot of money in this hobby, tell me one fly fisherman who doesn't but before I let go of the buffalo that I am squeezing tightly I want a good reason to do so. I just looked on line but 24 large coneheads are less than $3. That's over 9 X the cost. Looks like the are not press fit on, so you have to put them on the finished fly and leave the right amount of room and still build a thread bump so you dollar a piece head stays there.

Innovation is always cool and the more that they sell maybe the price will come down, just this old guy probably won't be one of the early adapters. Whatever you put that thing on I will put a tungsten bead, a conehead or dumbell on and if you catch more fish than I do, it will probably be because you are a better fisherman and not the difference in the fly pattern. The old, cheap guy will shut up now.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    those are neat but all i can feel are these welts i would have on the back of my skull from tossing them!

i dont tie large enough streamers to use that product but again they are neat
    Thanks for giving a tired old man a good laugh, of course I sell safety equipment and supplies I can get you a hard hat.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

The Fish Skullz are (or can be tied?) off-set, so the hook point will ride up, like when using barbell eyes. How do you tie a conehead to get the hook to ride up? do you have to use the 90 degree jig-style hooks?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

The knot connection will kept a 60 or 90 oriented point up in the water column.
    For those interested the small skull on a 6 wgt. casts easily and with no more "danger" than an appropriately sized dumbbell. Have yet to throw the med. skull with my 8 wgt but it's a lob at best on a 6 for sure.
    I got my few skulls cost free so they were priced right and for those without membership to flytyer.com I posted the flies here

Blog Entries

how did you get them for free?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
    how did you get them for free?
    Flyshop got a retail pkg. of each size as samples. I sampled some! lol
    Got an email from the mfg. of Skulls today and they are going to come out with one sized between small & medium. That's a good thing.

Crawfly, those are good-looking ties. Those deeper-body profiles would be good at mimicking the gizzard shad we have around here.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread