+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proof for Betty and Diane... ;)

Default Proof for Betty and Diane... ;)

This gentleman decided a size 8 Slumpbuster looked good enough to eat here a few hours ago. He hit it like a dang pitbull! The more I fish that pattern, the more I like it. Caught several crappie and a couple solid bluegills with it tonight. Copper with orange squirrel.

Well, aww-right!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Make sure you get a bunch tied for the fish-in. Nice gill.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Steve,
    I need to re-stock on my pine squirrel zonkers, and then I will tie up a mess of em for the fish-in! Gonna get some black cones, black zonkers, and red tinsel braid... I think that could be a good late evening combo.

How cool is that? NOW I believe you!

Hi Zac and all,

What is the pattern for the slumpbuster you use. What color of zonker are you using, what size hook, etc. Can you post a picture of it?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 04-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Gandolf-
    "Charlie's Fly Box" is where I got my model picture...

Try this... Mustad 9671, size 8, 7/32 copper cone head. Tie in a piece of copper wire, tie in copper braid. Wrap copper braid up to form your body. Tie in zonker strip under the cone, cut to length for body. Wrap copper wire rib to hold down the zonker, tie off. Tie in zonker, wrap twice to make a collar, tie off... Lots of typing, but it's a simple tie!

I don't have a pic of my flies, but in the next batch of flies I post, I will try to remember to include this one.

Went with a buddy to a sandpit he has permission on this afternoon. Caught my personal best crappie and some nice bass. Crappie was just over 13-1/2". The largest bass was 2-1/2 lbs or so. I was fishing with my 5-ft light action spinning rod (GASP!) Switched to my fly rod late and caught a few crappie and little bitty bluegills. My buddy had never seen a fly rod in action. I tied on my favorite gill fly and caught about 6 in a row....

The beat goes on...
    Zac

Had a bit more time, Gandolf. Here's the link to Charlie's version. Should be a tutorial and everything there!

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=37

He's got a great site with lots of ideas, if you've never browsed there before.

The only thing I've found big bluegills like more than a slumpbuster is a slump buster with rubber legs tied under the collar. I mean BIG BLUEGILLS!
    Nice catch QK.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

+ Reply to Thread