seat? I have an old bamboo rod
    refinish in the works and I'm trying
    to decide on a seat set up. The sliding
    band set up looks great but how
    functional is it? The way I understand
    it there held on by the friction of the
    band. Can it come loose at the wrong
    time and send my reel for a swim?

I've used a few slide band seats myself in the past. I don't know if I would really say there are any advantages/disadvantages to them at all. Some people like them just because they do give a rod a bit more of a nostalgic and I agree that they do that as well. As long as you use a good quality slide band seat like a Bellinger or something of similar quality then they actually do hold pretty well since they have a mortised groove in the seat for the reel to sit flat against. If your anything like me though even when you know it won't fall off you will still find yourself checking to make sure they are tight periodicaly through out a day of fishing, thats just a hard habit to break

Steve

I have "some" experience with sliding bands. I like to using them on ten inch Ternnessee handles. I have used graphite and aluminum slip rings from Janns Netcraft. Both work fine. Surprisingly the harder graphite does not fit well with the reel foot of my Plfeuger Trion 12. But the aluminum works fine on it. But...the key is I use these on cork which has give. In travelling one time I stopped in a place and asked for a blank and a slip ring reel seat. My mistake. Anyway, what I got was a reel seat with a wooden insert with cheap "plastic" down locking slip ring. The cut out groove in the insert for the reel foot was too wide. Plastic on metal on wood does not work. The reel had the ability to slide sideways due to the over sized groove in the insert. So.....ANY movement and in moments the reel was laying on the ground. The "plastic" had too much flexibility in it, and the hardwood insert had NO give in it. I tried placing tooth picks on both sides of the reel foot to no avail. Personally it is only my opinion with my experiences. But I woud NOT get a hard wood insert and use a slip ring on it. Having said that, I see some really great lightweight reel seat/grip all one piece set ups with a slip band. That is really lightweight. And the reel seat being cork, the sliding band should hold quite nicely.
    Jim

Blog Entries

Personally I have little experence with Slip ring reel seats but will be useing them as I have been given a large number of high regards for them. I have tried the reel seat and like it on someone elces rod it help really tight and it was a hardwood insert. I have also seen belengers hard woods offered with a cork insert as well. whats better I think is more of a personal choice. I have one rod i'm working on that is an alluminum reel seat with the same band I will try it and let you know hoe well it works. but I like the look alot.

they work fine for most reels and I have never had a reel fall off. When I want to use a reel that does not fit tightly I shim it with a small length flytying foam or a piece of leather. If you like the looks then go for it.

I prefer them over any other reel seet.

Several year ago I built a 3 wt. with a one piece cork handle and seat with sliding rings. I had a little prior experience with a solid cork spinnng rod handle. What I like is how you can feel the flex of the blank when you get a nice fish on.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Sliding bands with cork are all that I use for reel seats on my rods. I do not bother with the building up of arbors and slopping glue all over them and then sliding on the reel seat.....of the screwing knurled knobs type reel seats. Also I don't have to line up the reel seat with the guides either. There is give and take on both. The regular reel seats on the very end of the rod are really sweet. You can get this effect with an all cork reel seat. And THOSE are really sweet. But I just buy Jann's Netcraft cork grips and glue them on. I can give up the sweetness of true reel seats for the ease of installation. Just lazy I guess. But I don't build beautiful rods. Just fishing poles. Also a 10" grip gives you the ability to move the reel up and down a bit to find your own sweet spot on the rod. You can go 12" for more flexibility, or even longer and make it a combo....a single hand rod with a fighting butt and two handed casting.....just depends on how long you want to make the grip and where you place the reel.

I would say if you want the best....use conventional reel seats. Oh....just re-read your question. If you put good graphite or aluminum rings on....not plastic rings......and put them on cork....they should not come loose. Mine never have. You can get an 8" grip that comes with the slip rings already on it....and depending on handsize...is just about right for a reel and a grip. I put one on a 2wt blank and it was perfect for me.

I don't build rods, but I first purchased ultra light spinning rods over 40 years ago with sliding bands & still far prefer them to a fixed seat.
    To be sure, they can work loose, but as a matter of habit, maybe twice a day I give mine a little twist after I cast. Never had a problem. I currently own 2 St Croix Legend Ultras (3 & 4wts) with sliding rings & love 'em.
    Just an opinion from a "user" rather than a builder.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I love sliding bands too and I use them up to 5w's. Here's a new one I got from Joel Lemke. Black nickle downlocking for a T. L. Johnson Synergy blank I have. Ask Betty about Joel's reelseats. This picture doesn't do it justice. I've never had a problem with sliding band seats.

+ Reply to Thread