+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad and the Kid 2010

Those are some really nice and colorful fish!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Great stuff Kelly. Any of those Bows have a money chip embedded?
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Believe it or not Lew, the one pic of the Bow facing me shows a tag in the dorsal fin - only tagged fish I've ever caught. Fish and Game said it was the wrong tag for the current Rainbow bounty - my luck

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Well, no fishing for me since the trip to the S. Fork Snake at Palisade's. The Kid got out a couple of times, but forgot the camera. His girlfriend did get a pic of him casting on the South Fork, but that's the only pic I have from the weekend.

I did get a pic and the recipe for the Mysis Shrimp pattern that was so successful for me on that last trip, so I'll share that here:

Recipe:

KG's Mysis Shrimp
    Hook: DaiRiki 305, size #14
    Thread: clear mono
    Tail/antennae: SAAP High Vis - White
    Flashback: UTC Mirage Tinsel, opal - large
    Abdomen: small 'bump' of Ice Dub, pearl. Pick out after fly is finished and trim even.
    Thorax: After pulling Mirage Tinsel over abdomen, bind down the tinsel along the length of the hook shank to the eye. Trim, and then continue wrapping hook shank until you have built up a tapered body with the clear mono tying thread. Coat several times with Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails.
    I used a Sharpie for the eyes, although I've used melted mono in the past, the fish didn't seem to notice.

Also, here is the pic of the kid casting. Said he caught a mess of whitefish and three trout, although I don't see how that would have been possible given the state of his line as evidenced by this cast - look closely. Maybe he was distracted by the girl? Hmmmmm. Only he can tell us for sure At least the scenery is beautiful...

I have got to get that basement project finished, or it's going to ruin my fishing this spring. I did manage to get the bathroom sheetrocked, with the help of the kid.

This week appears to be no help with the project as I have a tying demo on Wednesday night and then the East Idaho Fly Tying Expo is here on Friday and Saturday and I'll be tying both days. No complaints, but I'm just not sure when I'll get it all done

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Nice, thanks for the reicipe and for that casting pic that reminds me of why I am usually glad no one is out there snapping pictures of me throwing line.

Quote Originally Posted by KeatonsDad View Post
    Nice, thanks for the reicipe and for that casting pic that reminds me of why I am usually glad no one is out there snapping pictures of me throwing line.
    Exactly! but what the picture doesn't show is how much line made it to the water. I was having a ton of trouble with my line grabbing every rock it could find at my feet! There were also no trout on this short trip, just a mess of whitefish. i fished for about 20 minutes and had a dozen of more boats pass me on the river, luckily it was easy for me to get out of the instant downpour that interrupted the fishing. I don't think the drifters had it so easy!
    Get Em!

Whitefish is better than no fish!

haha, mister mgliss... i thought u knew how to cast better than an infant?? this intrigues me ha

Quote Originally Posted by snowlover87 View Post
    haha, mister mgliss... i thought u knew how to cast better than an infant?? this intrigues me ha
    You should'st not believe everything you see pard. This kid's got skilz.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Haha, thanks Lew! Glad to see someone's got my back

Mike
    Get Em!

+ Reply to Thread