+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who is tying Tube Flies?

Default Who is tying Tube Flies?

I bought the HMH Tube Fly adapter a while back but have yet to tie a tube fly. I did buy one that came with three different hooks/tails to try fishing with but have not done so yet. I have enough tunes to play with that came with the adapter.

I know some are tying smaller trout flies but I doubt that's real popular. Seems to me the better use for them is larger streamers for bass/steelhead/saltwater etc.

So who's tying/fishing tube flies. Are your experiences good? Please share? Pics of the flies?

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I have done a lot with tube fly poppers. If I could figure out how to post a pic on this site I would.
    The difference in the flies I tie is that I use cocktail straws for the tube and allen wrenches to hold them on the vise. It's a very cheap way to go but works fine.
    I have fancy tails (hackle, maribou, frog legs, etc.) tied on long shank hooks (e.g. Mustad 34011 or 37187) and can convert any fly to a different shape or color by changing popper heads or tails.

I've been playing a similar game to CoachBob and for the same reason. I've done a few streamers, but not enough to really say I've got it "figured out" yet. Sorry, no pics at the moment, but the experience has been good so far (I'm using the same set-up you just got, seems to work just fine)
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I've played around with it some.

I've been using the cheap dollar store 'Q' tip type swabs for the tubes. Couple of hundred for a buck. I just hold a bent piece of stiff wire in the vise jaws. Works just fine.

Unfortunitly, i've found more things I don't like about tube flies than I do like.

But others swear by them, so it's probably just my own biasis that are to blame.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

At this year's Fly Fishing Show I bought some brass and plastic tubing from Eumer to try my hand at tying tube flies for trout. So far I have done a couple of simple patterns to get the hang of it. I have not fished them yet.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Generally, I have to admit to being clueless a large percentage of the time. Now, with a post like this I also have to admit to being tubeless too. I've never experimented with tube flies. I'm pretty sure I could tie them but they seem to get mixed views from most of my friends. 8T

I use them for streamers and poppers. I've tied traditional streamers (e.g., Royal Coachman and Wooly Buggers) and some newer designs for tube flies. I like how bass and bluegill don't "inhale" them, so I have not had to stand there on the stream and make a decision about whether to try to remove a hook or leave it in the fish - they have all been lip-hooked. I have also not lost any tube flies to the fish - the fish can't mangle them b/c they slide up the leader.

I have not found a good storage system; however, for carrying them on the stream. The available fly boxes either use some sort of foam with holes into which you shove the fly, but the flies don't stay in the holes. The other type is the Eumer box that has posts sticking out the side. I have not tried that one yet, but I am suspicious of how long those posts will last before they are bent. Right now, I am putting them in a fly box that has covered compartments. Unfortunately, the vest sized boxes only have smaller compartments, so the huge tube flies don't really fit without crunching them.

I have been tying tubes (flys) for a while now. Have tied some traditional type flies, but mostly spey, and streamers for steelhead. I did come up with a design that is killer on smb and lmb. Have also tied a hopper pattern on a tube that I am looking forward to using this summer. As for carrying the tubes, I tried to use a normal fly box with ripple foam, and then long hat pins. Worked for awhile, but with all the joeling around the pins worked themselves lose. Now I just use a small clear segmented box for tubes.

All my Salmon flies and larger still water trout flies are now tied on tubes. Weighted flies are much easier cast on the wide rivers in Scotland, although I also tie them without weight. I used to use the cotton bud stems too, and still do in some cases, however I now prefer to have a clear plastic tube connecting my hook to the tube. This ensures no more tangles (which was a huge problem) and allows the tube to slide up the line on hooking a fish.

In winter and early spring here you need to get your flies deep. Tube flies are the way to go.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

+ Reply to Thread