+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: But would you pay a guide to fish?

Default But would you pay a guide to fish?

A new wrinkle to guide fees, from a Midwest area guide's site:

"Northeast Iowa Inland Trout Fly Fishing Guides - Guided Trip Rates - $350 for the first day, $250 each additional day, for up to 2 anglers, up to 8 hours on the water per day. Team Fish Rates, subtract 30%. Bamboo Rod Rentals are $50 per rod per day additional. Gratuities at your discretion.

Team Fishing Service Level - a lot of guides (and authors) will tell you that it's absolutely a crime for your fishing guide to actually fish himself during a guided trip. Rubbish! Whether your guide should fish or not depends entirely on what you need from the guide.

If you're an experienced fly angler who doesn't need someone tying his knots, landing his fish, potentially coaching his every move, this may be the perfect service level for you. Team Fishing is even more effective at dissecting the day's angling problems; you have another highly experienced angler (your guide) as an actively participating member of your fishing party. Having another line in the water means quicker results, especially on tough fishing days. I'm still going to put you, the client, on the absolute best water while I fish secondary spots. I'm not planning to disappear downstream unless we agree that some scouting is in order. I'll still provide flies if you need them, but would rather show you what YOU have in your box that will work."

You get a 30% discount if you let the guide fish???!!!???

Your thoughts?

Joseph

[This message has been edited by BLUEWINGOLIVE (edited 02 February 2006).]

[This message has been edited by BLUEWINGOLIVE (edited 02 February 2006).]

In the area that I work (southcentral Alaska) guides are not allowed to fish while guiding by regulation. They want to make sure that we are doing our part to protect the safety of the clients and ensure that the rules are being followed. By the way, if a client violates fishing regulations, the guide is also cited for aiding in the violation of a regulation.

What you are saying about scouting and team fishing has a lot of merit however. Sometimes, the best way to teach a technique is to show and tell. Technically this is illegal in the waters that I fish.

p.s. Tyflier, your endeavor is very generous. Take a close look at the cost of insurance, tackle wear and tear, flies, fuel to and from the spot (by the way, if you transport clients in your vehicle, you will need commercial vehicle insurance). You will likely see that at $150-175 per day there won't be much (if any) left over to help grow the business. Your ambition to learn every inch of the water and grounds is a great starting point.

BWO,

Great idea for those interested in it. I think you may end up with people who REALLY need the help taking the 30% off to save money, but really needing 100% of the guide's time and expertise.

A few clients have asked that I bring my rod along while guiding, but I declined saying it was too much of a hassle, I'd have no time to fish, and I don't really enjoy fishing that stretch of the river very much. Truth be told, I get about 85% as much enjoyment out of watching other people catch fish!!

I expect a guide to do atleast a little fishing.
    Say I'm fishing river X with good luck on golden stone dries - but the guide thinks that a salmonfly or bugger might bring more or better fish. I would think he'd toss one on and see if it is atleast as productive as what I'm throwing, and hopefully more to put me on the most productive pattern of the day.

------------------
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!"
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

tyeflier, nice thought but probally unrealistic. I am guessing that in your area that besides a guide license, use of a a outfitters permit is probally required?

If you charge your clients half-price of what others are charging and deduct your costs including paying for someones permit use, you will be paying out of your own pocket. Simple as that.

If you decide to guide illegally and not work off someone elses permits then I can guarentee your guiding business will be very short lived.

Unless you are working for a established outfitter, chances are bookings are going to be hard for you to come by. It takes years to develop clientel.

I would be doing homework on your plan before making the plunge. Good luck though!

Rob

Sounds like the kind of job I would like to have: someone paying me to fish with them! Come to think of it though, I do this for nothing now...take a friend fishing, help him select the correct fly, help him with tying on tippets when he has a little trouble, put him on the best spot... Heck, I'm always the one bringing the cooler with water bottles, a few sandwiches and other snacks....You mean people get paid for doing this???? Where does the line start!

new to the forums, but

this sounds great, just out of curiosity

what are your thoughts on student discounts, not student of fly fishing, but student of college

Back in the days of the covered wagons, when JC and I were guiding for Dan Bailey in Livingston, there were hard and fast rules.
    Among them, no guide fished, even at the direct invitation of the client.

We have had one Montana guide fish without our invitation. He also drank (and not water) we did not recommend him to anyone. He since has died.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Yo Chris,
    We need to hook up and fish before you have to charge me to fish with ya!
    I've gotta schedule a run up 395 soon. Looks like I need to get on the horn to drum up some biz up in Carson City/Reno for a road trip.
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

If I were to ever be able to afford a "Guide"...He'd have an easy outting..I'm not the greatest ffer out there but I need very little once on the water...and rarely a fly...or what or which one I need be tying on...But...I'd drown the shmuk if he even thought of looking at a rod during the time I was forking out cash for him to be "A Presence". They say you get what you pay for...well I would NOT be paying for a fish'in buddy for the moment.....Nice to have atleast one of those...But I'd not pay for one....

During the time I was living in Syracuse...I was offered an invite from a local guide to "Go Fishing" on his own time and I guess I did not want to feel as though I was taking advantage of his good graces...Really was a nice thing for him to offer...wish I'd made a different decision at the time..maybe I'd have rethought life in NY...and stayed as I should have...the job I had there was the best I've ever had..and I actually liked going to work..That guide is also a member of this board..and I do thank him for the offer...doubt many ppl who make their living at it would have....
    ------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 02 February 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread