+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Build Up on Snake Guides

Default Ice Build Up on Snake Guides

Heading out to fish this weekend in some cold weather. Wondering if anybody had any tips for keeping the snake guides from icing up. I've heard of people using lip balm to prevent this, but am wondering if that will destroy my flyline......

I was just talking to a fellow about that very problem. He said he sprays a little WD-40 on his and when he is done fishing he wipes his rod down good. He said so far it hasn't hurt his rod and he does it every winter. You might also spray it onto a rag and wipe your guides with it. That way you wouldn't get it on your rod also.

Rocky

I know there's a commercial product on the market for just that thing, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name or who has it. Help Troops?
    They're just fish, right? Right?

You can try a vegatable spray like Pam that should work.

I don't know if this will work, but reading the post made me think of it. Dry Fly Spray I belive it's silicone based and keeps flys dry why not guides.

Stanley's Ice Off Paste works for a while. Loon Outdoors makes it.

I've used it and get an hour or so of use from each application. It's he best I've used.

At least it keeps me from swisshing my rod in teh water every five minutes.

Other things to use would be chapstick, or Pam's non-stick spray. The object is to keep drops of water off your guides which eventually form into ice.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

Spray your guides with spray silicon.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Don't strip or shoot line if you can help it. It's usuallly wet line running through the guides that cause icing.
    Barring that, any of the above suggestions or use Recoil guides and pop the ice out.

I fish all winter in freezing weather, often in sub-zero temps. I find it's more trouble trying to put stuff on the guides to prevent freezing than it is to periodically just break the ice out with one hand while holding my rod with the other hand. If it's cold enough to be wearing gloves, I don't have to remove them to do this, but just have to be reasonably careful not to put so much pressure on the guides that it might break one of them or the rod tip. Overall, this takes less time than putting stuff on the guides to prevent icing, although I do have Stanley's Ice-Off but rarely use it.

John

+ Reply to Thread