+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jim Smith's Trash Trough Idea

Default Jim Smith's Trash Trough Idea

We had a thread on this in the past...and I remember Betty said she would stick with her embroidery hook and plastic bag setup...I was using that also but switched over to using a section of plastic gutter...Poor man's rendition of Jim's idea...

Betty, I'm here to tell you and anyone else that is interested that after using it for awhile
    I would never go back to the embroidery loop.

Being the klutz I am ...it is so easy to pick back up anything that falls in...

Most of the time it is clean so it is available to lay something on if you want to...say a pack of hooks or whatever...

It is easy to clean
    You don't need ends on it ...easier to clean that way...
    I happen to clean it often with a hand held vacuum

Thanks again Jim for the idea.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc515.php

I have one of Jim's trash troughs & love it. It anchors under my vise & I just use my my little hand vac to clean it.
    Jim is one of those guys who gets a creative thought & acts on making it happen. I am a lucky recipient of a number of Jim's "creations" & I have also gifted others with his useful devices.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

That's an interesting idea. I don't have a dedicated tying area, though. Have you figured out a good way to temporarily attach it?

Currently I use a tall oval shaped waste paper container that I place between my knees while tying. It keeps the mess down, but it can be a bear to find anything that falls into it accidentally.

Cool Idea, I make a terrible mess. BUT so far the wife hasn't fussed.

Hey Ducksterman, what is the red things you have holding your bobbins on the right? looks like a cool way to hold your tools.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

hNt...those are tool holders I got at Haarbor Freight some years ago...haven't seen them in a long time....here's another way ...tie rack picked up at a thrift store...

oldfrat...if I was going for temporary I'd start by figuring out if a board interposed in my vise clamp would work....this picture isn't temporary but might convey an idea...I have to maintain two tying areas...

Ducksterman,

Thanks for the kind words and the recognition. If I had been smart enough, I probably would have used a piece of gutter material like you did since it's super light and already made to catch stuff like a trough. As it was, I had a piece of 4 inch PVC hanging around my garage which was part of the reason I came up with the idea in the first place. I don't like to buy stuff if I think I can make something myself out of materials I have just hanging around.

Oldfrat,

If you click on the link in ducksterman's thread, you get to the article. In it you'll see the way I secure the trash trough to my desk. Basically, it has an apron that lays on top of the tying surface and the weight of the vise keeps it in place. With this setup, it is completely mobile and can be used just about anywhere you can set your vise. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all.

Jim Smith

Cool!! I think I even have one a tie rack that'll work. thanks for sharing
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Can the edges be padded?? I'm not allowed to play with sharp things.

I use the embroidery hoop for threads and feathers, my lap catches the big stuff!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread