+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puerto Vallarta

Default Puerto Vallarta

Taking a family trip to Puerto Vallarta. Is it worth it to pack a fly rod? Is there any decent surf fishing there? Would we need fishing licenses?
    Thanks for any insight.

Normand Guest

i've been there for vacation but it wasnt a hot fly fishing destination

try here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...llarta&spell=1

It was well worth throwing my Stowaway 8wt into the luggage. That rod has been my backup rod on many a trip, but I'd never actually caught anything on it. It feels a bit slow lawn casting compared to my other 8wts, but doesn't take up much space. I brought it and a small fly box of bonefish flies.
    There were shoals of 3"-4" fish coming in to spawn on the sand. The schools darkened the waves. I realized that I should have brought streamers, so used duct tape to add feather tails to my crazy charlies. I lost many flies to the needlefish, but was able to land a few of them. (I also should have brought wire leaders.) I landed a few small pompano, but the most fun were the ladyfish, which took me well into my backing and treated me to aerial displays. I had a couple of shots at roosterfish, but wasn't able to hook one. It was fantastic seeing their distinctive dorsal fins slice above the water as the bait exploded all around them.
    All in all, a great vacation with some rewarding sight fishing thrown in. It could have been even better with a few lead eyed clousers and decievers and a few wire leaders, but still a great time. I have a new found respect for my backup Cabelas rod and reel. And for ladyfish. One of them caught me not getting my hand away from the reel fast enough and I have a sore knuckle to show for it.

Good for you and thanks for the report!

Thanks ColdPass, i always like hearing about unexpected success !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread