+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all, taking the plunge!

Default Hi all, taking the plunge!

I did post an introduction on the Fly fishing thread and wanted to do the same here. So anyhow new to both fly fishing and tying. Been reading and watching what is said here. Got a kit but unhappy with vise, got a Dan Vise. Glad I did that easier to use than the cheap one that comes in in the kit. Love all the advise you folks have given in all areas. Got the Skip Morris book and video plus one that came with the kit.

Just retired 3 months ago so I found out that fly fishing had a hobby side to it also. Love learning all this new information. I have tied 7 flies so far.

Last but not least, I saw a squirrel cross a yard the other day and thought "squirrel tail"

Doug

Welcome to the board. Have a look at the fly tying section from the main board. Al's beginner series will teach you lots of very useful skills.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Doug,

Welcome to FAOL and the craft of binding all kinds of stuff to a hook. It sounds like you have made some pretty good equipment choices. Please shower us with questions and keep us posted on your progress, 8T

BTW, squirrel body fur makes the nicest, spikiest dubbing you have even seen in your life. Should a squirrel accidentally be shot in your neighborhood, be sure to use the body fur and not just the tail.
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 04-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

eightthumbs:

Why 'shot' only? Any DOR (dead in road) carcass is worth a close look to see if it is salvageable! Otherwise, you are dead on with your comment.

Frank

Glad to know about the body of squirrel's, at times have seen them DOR. And thanks for the welcome.
    Everyday is a learning experience.

Doug

Blog Entries

Doug welcome to faol from Washington State.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Doug: I am the Swapmeister of "Beginners Only Fly Swap"! Right now the 10 members are in the 4th month of 5 swaps. I will again be offering Beginners Only Fly Sway, with the post on October 1st 2010, with 1st Swap beginning in November. I supply the addressed mailing envelopes (from and to) the mailing container for the flies, and the tow tags. Post your mailing address Personnel Message Center on this board, and I will mail you all the fly patterns that have run on FAOL since September 1st, 1997 on a CD. No Charge, I will cover the mailing cost. ~Parnelli
    Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"

Here is another welcome to FAOL from Tennessee. I have to agree that squirrel is a fantastic dubbing material. I use it 90% of the time on all my subsurface flies because it makes a very spikey body with lots of movement in the water. Please ask questions, make sure to visit the Beginner's Fly Tying section here and be prepared for a lot of fun and relaxation with fly tying and fly fishing.

As a side note, please be careful of "road kill" material. Make sure to clean it good or you could contaminate all your fly tying material with unwanted "bugs".
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Run man, run as fast as you can, forget seeing things as they are ...they will become dubbing and or wing material...you will look at your cat different, you will look at all fury things and birds differently. Even Butterflies! They posses what you now must have; fur and feathers...it's a disease
    If you do not run, you will be found by you wife and kids locked in a small room mumbling something about emergers...asking for your dinner to be slid under the door. You will not see day lite for weeks. Howard Huges will look like Brad Pitt compared to you when you finally emerge from your cave in undies and and tee shirt covered with deer hair, uttering... "Dalhberg...I have to talk to Dahlberg"

I wish I was kidding
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

Welcome, levidoug. I'm ceertain you'll enjoy this Board. Very nice, helpful people and lots of useful "departments".
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

+ Reply to Thread