+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quills...

Default Quills...

Ok heres what I got, peacock eyes soked in bleach then put in baking sodawater to stop effects, everythings cool thus far, I like the effect and is alot easier than using an eraser. Heres the Q, should I keep them soaking in water till I use them? Can I just leave them dry until I use them, or C, do I wet them just b-4 using them? If there's a D lol i havent thought of it yet or don't know about it...

Thanks for your help...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

If your not going to use them let them dry. Then give them a good soak when you are ready.

I like to put quills and biots in a damp paper towel for a few minutes before I use them.

Regards,
    Scott

What Scott said...I soak 'em in wet paper towels for at least 20 minutes.
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

Thanks folks, I used the wet paper towel thing, now I have Quill Gordans...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Grubb ..... I've got quite a few of the stripped peacock eyes using the method you mention. I'm sure there are many ideas floating around regarding keeping the stripped quill more supple. After I rinse mine off real good I apply hair conditioner (coconut scented, no less) let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off. I also use this same method when dying/bleaching moose mane.

Bass_Bug Guest

Dick Talluer said in one of his videos that he soaks stripped quills in hair conditioner (like gquals says) only he uses a a water solution with conditioner in it. I don't remember the ratio.

I'll second the hair conditioner trick. I also use the paper towel method of dampening quills.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Grubb or anyone else, what ratio of bleach to water do you use when bleaching the peacock?

Rodney

I used straight clorox, not off brand, and read to leave it in there for a short period of time so as to not make the quills brittle. It took only like a min or two at the most to bleach them clean. Soooooo much easier than using an eraser to erase the stuff off... Move straight from bleach to about 1 table spoon bakeing soda mixed in a small bowl of water to stop the effect of the bleach.

Last edited by Grubb; 03-31-2010 at 03:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread