+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitch creek nymph

Default Bitch creek nymph

I am going to give it a try and i was wondering what size should i make them and what colors work best? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Travis

Default Travis -

I think of the Bitch Creek Nymph as a Salmonfly. I think of that stonefly nymph in the size 2-4 range and I usually tie it on a size 6 4XL hook. Colors are typically dark on top and orange on bottom for the abdomen and a solid dark thorax. Dark would be black or dark brown. I personally prefer dark brown for my Salmonfly nymph patterns.

You can downsize the pattern for a Golden Stone, which is in the size 8 range. I usually tie my golden stone nymphs on a size 8 2XL hopper hook, mainly because I got started that way when I started tying them. For the Golden Stone, go to a yellow bottom on the abdomen and a brown or dark olive on the top and for the thorax.

I think a lot of folks use white rubber legs for these flies, but I would use dark rubber legs if I were going to tie this pattern.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks John, I tried it with the materials and hooks that i have and failed epically, I will need longer hooks and smaller chenille

Travis,

I tie mine the old way, without all that pesky weaving and such.

By far the best color combination for me has been black and yellow with white rubber tail/feelers.

I also tie brown and orange, and dark olive and chartruese, both with white rubber.

Sizes for me are #4-#8 on 4XL hooks. Heavily weighted.

Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    I tie mine the old way, without all that pesky weaving and such.[snip]
    Then that would be a Girdle Bug and not a Bitch Creek...

Blog Entries

I have a Bitch Creek fly, and I have never caught a thing on it yet. I guess I didn't fish it properly. Mine is orange and black if I remember right.

Ah kelkay? If you only have one, and you still have it - then you're right. You didn't fish it properly. You need to get it deep enough to lose it!
    Rex

Whatfly,

No, I'm talking about the Bitch Creek.

My recipe,mostly but with a few modifications, from Jack Dennis' Western Trout Fly Tying Manual, Vol II :

Thread: Yellow
    Hook: Mustad 9672 #4-12 (I like a longer hook so I use a 4x)
    Tail: Rubber legs (white in the book)
    Underbody: lead wire
    Abdomen: Yellow Chenille
    Back: Black chenille pulled over the top of the yellow
    Ribbing: Tying thread
    Thorax: black chenille
    Legs: (hackle) soft brown palmered through thorax to represent legs
    Antenna: white rubber.

Rather than 'weave' the abdomen on this pattern, the 'original' pattern just used the black chenille pulled over the top and 'ribbed' with tying thread. The nature of the chenille plus the thread ribbing blends the back and body together so that it gives a pleasing appearence and you don't have to weave it. While the whole weaving thing is fun to do and looks neat, this method looks almost the same, can be tied faster, and the fish can't tell the difference.

Since this is normally a heavy weighted fly fished near the bottom in flowing waters, you are going to lose a few of these to rocks and other snags. I believe that anything that simplifies tying such a pattern is a good thing.

If I can get one taken, I'll post a photo later...

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 03-29-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Buddy nailed it. That's how I tie my Bitch Creeks also. The weaving is more trouble than it's worth and I catch a lot of fish with them.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex S View Post
    Ah kelkay? If you only have one, and you still have it - then you're right. You didn't fish it properly. You need to get it deep enough to lose it!
    Rex
    That wouldn't surprise me...lol...mine doesn't seem like it has enough weight to go deep. I would have to add weight to get it down in the water column.

+ Reply to Thread