+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best pair of scissors?

Default Best pair of scissors?

At a fly tying class, the instructor said I need thinner scissors. I was not using my normal Wal-Mart scissors which are really big. I was using a pair of regular fly tying scissors, open ended with red rubber on the loops. But he stated I needed to get thinner scissors. Then I noticed his. They were same size as mine, but looked really good. Looked like nickel plated stuff. Surely not. Just trying to explain. Looked like matte grey scissor that were very thin. Were they by Dr.Slick?

What is the best pair of scissors to use when tying flies and snipping off hairs and thread?

Jim

Gemrod,

I bought a pair of Dr. Slick scissors a year ago and they are great. Overall length is 4-5 inches, cutting area is about an inch. They have micro serrations, and are made of titanium and have large finger loops. I'm careful with them but they aren't even close to needing sharpening. If I remember right, they were about $35.
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Jim,

If you go the sewing section in Walmart they have scissors called "Westcott Titanium". They're about 4" long, matte gray finish, super thin and very sharp. Much thinner than my Dr. Slick. The finger loops are a little small but I think they cost only around $6.

Dr. Slick makes good scissors (I like the 4" tungesten carbide models), as does Anvil. Ultimately anything will work as long as the loops are comfortable, they are sharp and will keep an edge, and have fine enough tips to get close to your work (how close depends on size of flies you tie on average).

Thank you guys.
    That is exactly the kind of information I was searching for.
    Jim

Jim, Take a look at the Kershaw Skeeter series...I have one and it is my favorite for what you describe....

Jim, I have a pair of dr. slicks I'll add to your other ordered stuff for $6.00. It was in the same batch of stuff I bought as the books and they look to be in good ahape
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Just to suggest that we need two basic pairs. One with fine tips, as your instructor noted, and another for heavier cutting like clumps of deer hair.
    The heavier ones should have serrated blades. Just don't drop those with very fine points. If you do, they are history!

Gem, I have went through about a doz pair of scissors before I settled on these 5. I went nuts trying this pair and that pair. The following are what I have kept. The small arrow style Dr. Slicks are what I tie with 95% of the time. Sometimes I use the curve pair of Anvils for trimming deer hair bass bugs or some other place where I want a curved blade. I use the larger pair of Dr. Slicks as a pair of hair scissors. The Carbide tipped black pair are my go to pair. The edge will last longer. The size stays in my hand easily at all times. I would think you would want 3 pairs one day. A curved pair, a hair scissor and an arrow pair round out the collection nicely. Anything after that they become duplicates. Remember my wife ties with me and she uses the other arrow pair.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I have a wide variety of scissors. You cannot beat Dr. Slick in my opinion. They have Dr. Slick scissors at Sierra Trading Post now for a GREAT price. I bought a few. I have arrow, bent shaft, hair scissors, Iris ...all from Dr. Slick. I have a pair of Anvil thinning shears. For what you need you would be happy with bent shaft or arrow...depending on the money you want to spend. I have scissors by Fiskar, and Wescott as well. Wescott can be found at Wal-Mart in the craft/sewing section here. The Wescott makes a decent scissor...and they even have a curved bladed scissor for trimming EP fibers and stuff....baitfish patterns. I just got the Anvil, and I cannot give a accurate review of them until I have put them through their paces. I also have old cruddy pairs of scissors for cutting foam, wire, and mylar etc...don't use your good scissors to cut that with, unless you have a pair you are about to retire. The Iris scissor by Dr. Slick is very nice, but a bit long for fly tying. They are sharp, that is for sure. The arrow is probably my favorite scissor for over all use. The bent shaft is a wonderful scissor at a fantastic price, and I think you would be thrilled with it if you cannot afford the Arrow. I like to have BOTH on hand. A good pair of scissors can make a lot of difference in fly tying.

+ Reply to Thread