+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Dremel" fly "eyes" help?

Blog Entries

Default "Dremel" fly "eyes" help?

I've been wanting to fool with dremel flies for sometime. My kids bought me a tool for my birthday and I started putting some stuff together for "Jelly Beans". I had about a dozen of the 3 mm half-bead eyes, so went looking for some. I can tell you there's none to be had with an 80 mile radius of here. There's about 326 million "wiggle eyes" to be had.

Hated to buy online - because I figured a .59 bag of eyes would cost $7 shipping - but a "search" couldn't find any anyway.

Does anyone have access to some (even 4mm is better than nothing)? Or can you put me on a link? I'd appreciate any help.

thnx.. g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Bass_Bug Guest

Hide,
    Have you checked all the local craft/fabric store? Jo-Anne's, Michaels etc?

Can you post a link or picture of exactly want you're looking for?

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Hide,
    Have you checked all the local craft/fabric store? Jo-Anne's, Michaels etc?

Can you post a link or picture of exactly want you're looking for?
    search" jelly beans" on the home page here

Normand Guest

so tell us why wiggle eyes wont work??

Blog Entries

I've checked every Michaels - Hobby Lobby - Diane's - and foo foo places you never heard of for 80 miles (happened to be on a "road" trip)

Here's Jim's link that shows them well:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...062606fotw.php

While the wiggle eyes look okay on hair - the black ones just "make" the jelly bean.

I really wasn't surprised I couldn't find them. I'm one of those guys for which nothing is ever easy.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

The ones I have were a Darice prduct. They sell to a lot of the craft and hobby type shops. You can't buy direct from them, but if you can find it on their site then maybe you can find out from them who in your area carries them.

http://www.darice.com

If that doesn't work, don't despair. Lots of ways to come up with the same look (not as easy as just gluing them on, though).

The first two that come to mind are painting the doll eyes (that lets you keep the rattle) or use ball head straight pins.

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 03-28-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Interesting you mention the ball head pins, Buddy. I just painted some black yesterday...[I haven't been able to find black ones].

In the link I posted above they list a 4mm half round bead by Darcie.
    I use em on my jelly beans and they work fine.
    Mr Hatch may have suggested these to me as I to had a hard time finding the 3mm
    and emailed him about a source.

Blog Entries

Thank you very much guys. I have a couple fellas trying to help me out. Cold and windy here so I made my first attempts this afternoon.

Everytime I start in on a new "project" I come to realize how much talent there is on this site. You guys continue to impress the
    heck out of me.

I found some "iron-on jewels" I thought I'd try. They are a real pain to work with (not to mention - a bit "cashy" )
    I'll have to experiment with size/hooks/placement. I do notice they tend to ride very low in the water. Anyway: gotta start somewhere.

Thanks again... g

+ Reply to Thread