+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 ft rods.

Default 10 ft rods.

I am trying to research some information on 10ft rods for nymphing. I also thought they might double for a belly boat rod. Several people I know around my area suggest not going over a 9' 6" rod. Is there any ideas from you guys. I here the 10 footers are good mountain rods for tight line nymphing.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I use a 10ft 4wt Cortland for nymphing as I do a 13ft Tenkara. Both are used on small mountain streams. I like them both, you can get that bug out beyond most seams.

Awesome, the smokies is where I was thinking of. Small streams where I could reach the water with out through the brush and not disturb the waters. Some may laugh at that but I had heard of that technigue being used. Whats your thoughts on the 10 ft TFO rods? and would the 4 wt be better than a 5wt?

I'm going to say it, you can differ with me, but the truth is landing a fish in a belly boat with a ten-foot rod is awful. Think I'm kidding?
    Take any 9-foot rod and sit on a stool then try and reel in a little weight so you can get your hand on it to release it. The idea that you should have a longer rod in a belly boat is hype designed by fly shops to sell you another rod. It really doesn't work worth a darn.
    LF

I can't answer to the belly boat part, but a 10' weight Grey's Stream Flex in either a 3 or 4 weight makes a great rod for either nymphing or upstream wet fly fishing.
    Bob

Lightbulb

My 0.02$

My favourite belly boat rod is my 7ft cortland!!!

I don't need distance and the rod is perfect for c-mid presentations on kamloops lakes.

My river rods are mostly 10 ft 'cause I mend a lot and roll and spey cast a lot here.

I don't nymph so no idea there.

Imho, I think it would pretty hard to stop a 10ft rod when trying to control a nymphing rig.

Tight lines!
    Christopher Chin

Ladyfisher you have the same thoughts that I have wondered. I have a 9 footer that I have had no problems with but seems as if the industry keeps going longer rods. A few years ago seems smaller was better. I do appreciate all the imput. Thanks

Hi Sagerods - Was out today with my Sage 99 4wt. It's not a 10 footer, but 9'9" long. It's a fantastic nymphing rod - unbelievably sensitive. I could feel every tick of the fly on the bottom. Fish, too.

Right at dusk, the stoneflies hit the water as I was heading up to fish a large pool. I couldn't move up without spooking fish, so I needed to boom out some long casts. I snipped off both nymphs from my nymphing leader, tied on a dry, and let it rip. I think Sage is doing the 99 an injustice by calling it a nymphing rod! I picked off the fish one by one, all the way to the top of the pool. It's deadly accurate, and easily throws a SA GPX 4wt line a VERY long way.

With a name like "Sagerods", you owe it to yourself to check one out. As far as bellyboats go, I have no experience.

If you ever get to see an international fly fishing competition, you'll see that the guys pulling in the big numbers are using European Nymphing techniques. (Czech, Polish, Spanish, French...etc) They also are using the very long rods. This is where the new interest is coming from. They fish light rods... 2-5wt. The lighter and longer the better, with medium fast action. 9ft-11ft rods seem to be the current range in length. As time goes on, they seem to get longer. This style of nymphing can make your arm tired so take that into consideration when buying or rod or deciding if you want to go an extra few inches. Every gram counts after a while. Yes long rods do help when in a float tube.

http://flyfishingreporter.com/euro-fly-rod-review

snatched these photos from here http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/czech/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 03-28-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Heritage angler,

You are my idol. LOL I so want one of those Sage 99 but can not get one in my budget right now. I am so glad to read your report on that rod. I have sage, orvis, winston, st. croix and bamboo and hands down I love my Sage rods. Man I so want a Sage 99. Please feel free to pm me or anything with future reports of that rod. Maybe Santa will be nice enough to get me one this year. I would be a very good boy if I knew he was watching with that intent. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread