+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: falling in

I wear a tight belt and have never had my waders fill up after a fall. It sounds like the belt is too high if it hinders breathing. Seriously, does your regular pant's belt hinder breathing? That is where your wading belt should be also.

Secondly, you may have the wrong size waders. I've not saying you do, but sizing could contribute to the problem. With a wader that has an intergrated wading belt system, the wrong size could put the belt at the wrong place. In that case, use a separate second belt that is tight but positoned correctly.

I also agree that a wading staff is a must to preventing falls. The other factor is your wading boots. Have you gone to the new rubber soles? If so add, studs for a better grip. Even the new Vibram rubber does poorly on slippery rounded rocks.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Hi Casey - This might be a solution for you.

Years ago, I was looking for a wading belt that offered some back support, as well as keeping water out in case of a fall. I came up with this:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=16005&brand=

Now, I wouldn't think about using chest waders without this belt. The comfort level it provides is incredible, and it keeps water out in case of a fall. The secret to it's effectiveness lies in the fact that you "adjust" it every time you put it on, so it is a perfect fit no matter what you're wearing under your waders that day.

Another little trick I use is to squat down just before I cinch the belt up for a few seconds, and cinch the belt as I stand back up. This has the effect of removing excess air in my waders, and it seems to stay that way pretty much. This also has the side benefit of reducing the "flapping" of loose fitting waders in the water. Works for me - maybe it will work for you.

H.A.
    Last edited by Heritage Angler; 03-25-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Blog Entries

thanks for all the good advice! i love this place.

i do use a staff every time no matter how small the stream, and i have an iron rule that if there is no one within yelping distance, i go no deeper than my knees. did you know you can get completely dunked in 20 inches of water if you aim yourself upstream?

yep, those rubber-soled boots aren't worth much without the studs, but the studs catch on the rocks...

i'm strong enough for my size (small) but waders full of water are heavy!

John Scott's suggestion of the jacket wins my vote: i'll belt the jacket under the wading/staff holding belt. if it's too hot for the jacket, i'll take off the waders and go wet.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Casey,

You've gotten some good advice...but...

There are wading belts and there are wading belts.

If all you are using is one of those stretchy elastic belts around your middle, they aren't going to be too helpful. Since you seem prone to falling like this, you may want to upgrade how and where you wear your wading BELTS.

A strong, non stretch nylon belt securely around your WAIST when wading will keep 'significant' water from going below that point. This ones needs to be tight, but around your waist it shouldn't be a comfort issue if you ever wear a belt with pants/jeans. Keep it at the hips, below the belly, and cinch it tight. It may be a bit uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it. (Women used to wear corsetts that were much tighter).

A 'stretch' nylon belt securely, but loose enough so that you can breath, around your CHEST will keep a 'lot' of water from getting into the top of the waders.

If you take a fall, all you have to do is regain your feet, move to the rivers edge, undo the top belt, and bend over. The water trapped above your waist will drain. If bending is an issue, just undo the wader support straps and let the top portion drop down, and the water will drain. If there is some ,and there should not be much, seepage into the lower portion of your waders, then you now know what fishing in leaky waders is like.....if you are concerend about it, get out, take the waders off, drain them and dry the inside and you before putting them back on. (keeping towels and a change of clothing at the car is a wise precaution).

You will have to make a decision. Tight wader belts aren't comfortable. But drowning isn't much fun either.

Buddy

I had another thought. Maybe it is not for you but I've heard of some folks using those wide "lifting" belts that some shelf stockers at Home Depot wear. They say that they give a lot of back support and make terrific wading belts. I've never tried it myself.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Keep it at the hips, below the belly, and cinch it tight.--Buddy Sanders
    Ahah!
    Buddy, ladies' hips won't let the belt stay there, they're too curvy. the belt rides up to just above the belly button where we are slenderest, and that is why it's hard to breathe if it's really tight.
    thanks for helping to identify the basic problem! there really is a difference, turns out.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Casey,

Back many years ago, they made duty belts for female police officers that were curved to fit the female form.

That allowed the weight of all the gear to ride on the hips properly without sliding about too much.

I've not seen something like that for wading, but you still need a tight belt someplace near the waist to keep the water out.

Buddy

How many times have you seen on these pages, posts on why breathable waders are always better than neoprenes.... even in cold weather ?

Well here's where they're not

Neoprenes fit "like the paper on the wall" and do not fill up when you go for a swim.
    The best (and maybe only) reason to wear those old neoprenes rather than modern breathables
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

dudley--i actually own such a pair, and yep, they fit like a glove right to the top. guess they're not just for winter, huh? between the jacket and the neoprenes, looks like i'm going to be more confident and safe this spring!

Buddy--i'm about to go to a hiking store. they make curved belts for exactly the same reason. the belts even have handy attachment places for nets and staffs. i'll let you know how i do.

HA--tried one of the back belts and thought it rode up too high as well. i think it wanted to be next the clothing and not over the slipperier GorTex.

Thanks to one and all. many minds sure make short work of problems around here!

+ Reply to Thread