+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head Cement Thinner?

Default Head Cement Thinner?

What can I use to thin out my head cement? I have only had it for a month and it is already getting pretty thick. Thanks for your help.

Dave

Dave,

Depends completely on what your head cement is made from. There are lots of different ones, all with their own correct thinner. I'd like to think that it would list the correct thinner on the bottle, but that may be a bit wishful.

In any event, if it's a solvent based product you need to use the right stuff, and it could be one of many, or you'll muck it up. If it's a water based product, then you'd use water....

If it doesn't say what to use on the container, go to the makers web site and check there.

If that doens't do it, you may have to experiment, which probably won't work...so you'll need to buy new head cement. When you buy the new stuff, find out what to thin it with before you buy it.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Buddy,

Thanks for the info. I will make sure that I do that next time. What I have now is Wapsi Fly Head Cement. It doesn't have the ingredients listed and I couldn't find it on their website. If anyone knows what to use to thin this brand, please let me know.

Dave

If you bought the cement at a fly shop go back there and look for the thinner. The bottle looks just like the head cement bottle except the label says Wapsi head cement thinner.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Wingnutz, You can buy a pint of lacquer thinner for about $5. I have used it for Sall Hansens, and several other brands of head cement and it works just fine. Much cheaper than head cement thinner in the 2 ounce bottles and a pint will last you forever!
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnutz View Post
    What I have now is Wapsi Fly Head Cement. ...
    Dave
    They have more than one type Dave: http://www.wapsifly.com/pdffiles/wap/page%2058.pdf I usually try to do a search for the product MSDS sheet which should be public info. In the MSDS it won't say how much they use of each product, but many times will tell you the names of the exact chemicals. I make up my own flex head cement out of shoe goo and Toluene. If I glow in the dark a little it helps my wife find me once in a while. For a young guy I probably would suggest one of the water soluable products on the market these days.

Bass_Bug Guest

If it's Wapsi's and it just says 'Head Cement' It's solvent based and you're safe with lacquer thinner as suggested. If it says 'water based' on the label thats you're other option. It you try something to thin it and it doesn't work? You're out what about $2.50?
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 03-22-2010 at 09:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread