+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caddis fishing....

Default Caddis fishing....

This is just a 'general' question for those of you who spend a lot of time fishing caddis! It's not about any particular pattern, so I post it here.
    Which form of caddis do you have the most success with; larva, pupa,emergers, or adults ?
    I like to fish the emergers mainly because I feel more confident fishing them, but I should spend more time fishing the others.
    What works for you ???
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

Hi Quill,

I have had my most success using laraval imitations, fished mostly bouncing on the bottom. Here in the East, I have a "local" pattern which I have caught trout on in every state I have fished in, at all times of the year. It is called the Sand Caddis and is very simple:

Hook: #12 to #16 Mustad 3xl or 37160 (curved shank, #16 to 20)
    Body: Ginger Australian Possum (various shades have all worked for me)
    Ribbing: Gold fine wire
    Legs (optional): lemon woodduck or substitute, tied beard style
    Head: dark brown mink with lots of guard hairs

You can tie them weighted or unweighted. It is possible that the trout take it for a cased caddis, in addition to the tan caddis species which hatch here throughout most of May and into June...
    Good Luck!

I used to fish adult patterns (Elk Hair Caddis) most of the time, at least here in the East, primarily for visibility; it also served as an excellent general attractor. Out west, where I've hit some pretty heavy caddis hatches, I found emergers worked better and fished mostly Iris Caddis, X-Caddis/X2 Caddis, etc. Last year I started using CDC & Elk and found it was pretty effective throughout the hatch and that's become my go-to fly, as an attractor on the little local freestoner, and on the larger western streams when there's any caddis activity.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

John,

I've had good luck fishing a tandem rig of an EHC with either an emerger or pupa or nymph as the dropper. It seems to broaden the appeal and catch more trout!

John,

Gotta say it's a toss-up between the high floating Elk Hair Caddis, and the lower profile of Cutter's E/C Caddis. Both have been tremendous producers for me in the Sierra streams that I love to visit. Have to say though, I've also used the Henry's Fork Caddis and the results have been pretty good--not the same as the EHC or the E/C, but probably 'cause I just don't fish it as much.

John

Cold Guest

Standard EHC dries and Emergent Sparkle Caddis are always in my fly box, as are several latex caddis for imitating larva.

Still field testing several different subsurface pupa patterns as well as a few for cased caddis.

BLG Caddis Larvae.jpg

I fish the EHC more than any fly in my box. Aside from the EHC, my most productive caddis pattern is a beadhead Pupa.

I've had pretty good luck fishing several caddis patterns, but the one I go to most often is a ehc, but more of an emerger pattern. Really seems to do the trick.
    One of my favorite larval pattern is some green micro or off white chenille, tied behing a thorax of peacock hearl and a green glass bead. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by Thunderthumbs; 03-20-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Thumbs up Good inputs........

It's nice to see we have a good following of caddis fishermen!
    Thanks for all the good input. I have a follow-up question though.
    What type of dubbing can I use to imitate the 'larva case' or the 'pupa body' . Is 'swiss straw' used as a dubbing or rope, or is that only for wing material?
    I saw this video by Davie McPhail tying a caddis pupa, where he dubbed the body( straw-like material), but he didn't say what it was! Anyone know what material he used in this video? Is it 'seal's fur' ? I see that mentioned in the comments below, but that didn't look like fur to me !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfm_nrpEL5U
    Thanks....
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

Quote Originally Posted by jburge View Post
    John,

Gotta say it's a toss-up between the high floating Elk Hair Caddis, and the lower profile of Cutter's E/C Caddis. Both have been tremendous producers for me in the Sierra streams that I love to visit. Have to say though, I've also used the Henry's Fork Caddis and the results have been pretty good--not the same as the EHC or the E/C, but probably 'cause I just don't fish it as much.

John
    I agree with this 100%

+ Reply to Thread