+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evening Midge Hatches ?

Default Evening Midge Hatches ?

I was wondering if anyone sees EVENING midge hatches during the spring much?

I am used to mostly seeing them during the late morning to early afternoon. And during the spring I don't tend to fish in the evening. Last night I was taking a walk along the local river and saw fish rising (around 6:00 PM). It could only be midges (either hatching or spent adults I guess).

I know during the summer and early fall I have seen them hatching during the evening on a nice day, so I guess I would not be surprised to see them.

cheers,
    M
    Last edited by markgraumlich; 03-16-2010 at 03:09 PM.

I fished a midge hatch the morning of Feb, 26th! Did quite well for my first time out here in MT.

TT.

I just fished the midge hatch this past Saturday, as well as the previous two or three times I've been out. Fall, Winter and Spring are when midges shine. Normally there aren't any other hatches during the Winter, but you can always rely on midges making a daily showing. Saturday, I caught some nice fish on a size #18 Griffith's Gnat which represented the midge clusters as there were so many bugs on the water. Gotta love the midges.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Default Haven't fished an evening midge hatch ....

.... yet. But one of the guides at a fly shop in Missoula told me a week or so ago that he and another guide had noticed quite a good midge hatch on the Bitterroot in the evening - around 5:30 as I recall, with fish up and eating.

I don't usually fish that time of day, and like most others, have fished the winter / spring midge hatches in the late morning and afternoon. Need to go take a look at the Bitterroot one of these evenings, soon.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread