+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just curious...

Default Just curious...

Did you ever try with flies in muddy, turbid waters? I hate them.
    After -about- 20 years of flyfishing in clear waters, I can't throw a fly in other type of waters.
    During my childhood I used to fish with bait in muddy waters for catfish and other species. But now, is impossible for me to try with flies and perhaps I'm loosing a good opportunity.
    Did you try?

If I didn't fish in "dirty" water, I wouldn't do any fishing in the summer! Several of the lakes around here have a bad blue-green algae bloom. Dark and/or flashy flies right on their noses do the trick.

Cold Guest

Flashy, dark, and voluminous. If you cant appeal to a fish's finely attuned vision, you've gotta appeal to his other senses. Flies don't allow for appeal to smell (which is what many fish use in such conditions), so you're limited to that lateral line, and basic visual sensitivity to light.

I tie a sort of mini bunny leech type thing for chocolate milk water just after a good summer storm: #8 streamer hook, black marabou tail, palmered black crosscut rabbit body, and a "hot spot" at the head, dubbed with Ice dub, usually in blue, orange, pink, or chartreuse.

Gives a big fat profile in the water that pulses with movement whether drifted, swung, or stripped. Only real issue is that you can't really go much smaller than a #8 with it, but in those conditions, that's about as small as you wanna get anyway.

On the Rio Grande in S. Colorado in the midst of the summer dog days, the best fishng for any trout, but especially the big ones, is after the river goes on the rise and muddies up. Big, black wooly bugger cast upstream and worked as fast as I can strip it back is the ticket. Not my preferred way, as I prefer dries.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Blog Entries

Smell?

I guess I learned something today?

How does a fish "smell". I can understand, see, or sense of touch, even hearing, but this one has me intrigued.

--Ron--

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    Smell?

I guess I learned something today?

How does a fish "smell". I can understand, see, or sense of touch, even hearing, but this one has me intrigued.

--Ron--

I think that there were others but I couldn't use the search function for anything before the recent big change: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc131.php

Please nobody come to the Crooked River in Oregon. You wouldn't like it. Nope, too muddy for the fish to take flies. No fish in there anyway, except some suckers. Yeah that's it, too muddy.

+ Reply to Thread