+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, i need help with a soft hackle

Normand Guest

everybody seems to be giving instructions to tie much larger soft hackles but is anybody reading that the poster wants info for size 20 & 22 flies?

finding hackle in those sizes with a stem strong enough to be tied in and wrapped around a hook shank is probably going to be nearly impossible to find.

i would suggest using fibers stripped off the stem and tied on the hook shank using a distribution wrap of thread.

When really going small, I like using CDC with a bead. otherwise a simple V cut out works well and strip the rest of the fibers off the stem you think you wont need. I usually use about 8 fibers per side when I am ready to tie it on the hook. I just pull the the hackle thru til I like the length then tighten it down a couple more wraps and finish.
    Last edited by Flyfish Dog; 03-14-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Ok, fibers stripped from the stem is now my approach for these small dudes or Sportsmans depending on my frustration level. My thanks to all that took the time to share your thoughts.

One method would be to make a loop and place your feather in the loop with the desired length of barbules on one side. Twist the loop just enough to lock the fibers in and cut off the stem side as close to the thread as possile. Now you can wrap the looped thread just as you would a feather.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

A trick I use with small soft hackles in the 20s, and I use them a lot, is not to use soft hackles. Just use Whiting dry fly saddle hackle, the hackle that comes in 100 packs, same size as the hook. It works as well, if not better, than hen hackle, and I've used both. Much easier to deal with too. Tie it in as you would a dry fly hackle and just wind a couple of turns.

Hans Weilenmann's method works very well too if you insist on a true soft hackle. Here's a link. I use this method for all my conventional soft hackles. You tie in by the stem, so breakage is less of an issue. http://www.danica.com/flytier/steps/.../buttercup.htm

When tying downsized softhackles, I go to saddle hackle & tie back into it. But I stay with game feathers down to as small as available.

+ Reply to Thread