+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General nymph hook question

Default General nymph hook question

I'm getting ready to tie some little trout nymphs for a buddy, sizes 18-22. In doing a bit of reading in John Gierach's book "Good Flies", he uses the Tiemco 200R or Mustad 94840 for most of his nymphs. The 200R is a curved nymph hook, and the 94840 is a standard length dry hook. These two seem quite different to me. Which in your opinion would be better for the size flies I will be tying? I see a nice long shank on the 200R, and a wider hook gape on the 94840. I'll be tying hares ears, pheasant tails, some BWO nymphs, RS2s... Some HE's and PT's with beads. Just getting a good mixture.

Thoughts on the two hooks? Thanks so much! This size of stuff is totally new to me, so it should be a fun project.

Zac

On small nymphs I would not use the curved hooks. They have a rather small gape which is already a problem with small hooks. If you want a longer shank use a bigger standard hook or consider a nymph hook like a one or two times long 3906b or 9671. The nymph hooks have the advantage of heavier wire which will help get them down.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I also use 3906B's and 9671's some time 9672. I had read sometime ago and I don't remember that 200R is not a very good hook and some western guides will not let you use them. I cannot remember why, any way I got rid of all of mine.

Default Nymph Hooks for a size 18 through 22 nymph fly patterns

Tiemco 200R: standard wire, 3 extra length hook shank (curved), sizes 4 to 22.
    Mustad 3399: standard wire, standard shank, sizes 6/0 to 18
    Mustad 3906: standard wire, standard shank, standard length, sizes 2 t0 20
    Mustad 3906B,1extra-heavy wire, 1 extra-length shank, sizes 4-20
    Mastad 80250BR, Scud/Shrimp: standard wire, 1 extra short shank (curved), sizes 10 to 22
    Mustad 9671: standard wire, 2 extra long length. available sizes 2 to 18
    Mustad 9672: standard wire, 3 extra long length. available size 2s to 18

Normand Guest

of the 2 hooks youre actually asking about i would use the mustad 94840. wider gape to get a bead around if you want to go that way.

recipes are simply parts lists that can be modified at any time.

tiemco also has the 3761 & 3769

I use a nymph hook as it will stand up to abuse much better than dry hook.

I have that book , I have no idea why he uses those hooks at all. perhaps its the astetic beauty of the curve. Use the Mustad! they are less expensive for you and the gap is larger. I like John and respect his work but i feel he is off on this one. I have broken and straightened so many of the 200Rs after that book i no longer keep those hooks in my house
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

If you want to use a curved hook, go with a scud hook like the Dai Riki 135 (or the "emerger" version 125). The hook has a larger gap, strong wire and the curved body looks cool (don't think the fish care one way or another); I tie a lot of my smaller Pheasant Tails on them, with/without beads. I don't use the Tiemco 200 for anything in size #16 or smaller.

Regards,
    Scott

Ok guys, thanks for confirming what I had in mind. I will probably get 1x or 2x long Mustad nymph hooks like I originally planned. It just seemed odd that he would recommend a hook like the 200R for such small flies. I use the Mustad equivalent in size 6-10 for my warmwater leeches. Getting a bead on them is a huge pain!

Default Another point of view ....

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Ok guys, thanks for confirming what I had in mind. I will probably get 1x or 2x long Mustad nymph hooks like I originally planned. It just seemed odd that he would recommend a hook like the 200R for such small flies. I use the Mustad equivalent in size 6-10 for my warmwater leeches. Getting a bead on them is a huge pain!
    .... Q.K.

On small flies like that, a 1X or 2X short hook has one significant advantage, especially compared to a 1X or 2X long hook.

Bigger gap. This can make a real difference in hook ups and keeping a fish on. An extra long hook in the sizes you are talking about will have a proportionately smaller gap.

The Dai-Riki 135 is a 1X short and 1X heavy hook, down-eye with a very pronounced curve scud hook. I personally don't like them for nymphs, although they are a great midge larva hook. They are a very strong hook, and while it seems some folks have had problems with quality, I have used them for six years and very seldom found a bad one.

The Dai-Riki 125 is a 2X short hook, straight-eye with basically a straight shank. Because of the large gap, it looks a bit more curved than it really is. I really like this one, and am just basically seconding Scott's recommendation. One of the best fly tiers I know personally, kglissmeyer, uses it for a lot of his nymphs, also.

Dai-Riki hooks are very reasonably priced, if that is a consideration, although I am not sure how available they are in any given market.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread