+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closest Fishing to Your Home

Default Closest Fishing to Your Home

If you were going to step out your front door to go fishing in the nearest body of water that holds fish, what would you be fishing for? In comparison, how far do you have to travel to angle for your favorite type of fish?

For me, I live a long stone throw from Lake Minnetonka, a large warmwater lake, so my nearest angling would be for panfish, bass or northerns. My favorite, trout, require a 2+ hour drive to Western WI, or a 3 hour drive to Southeastern MN.

[This message has been edited by blackdog1101 (edited 26 January 2006).]

Oh man I have to go 3/4 mile to fish for Trout .
    Working Trout Bum

3 minutes, Hood Canal, sea-run cutthroat, salmon at various times of the year.

Favorite? Trout, dry fly. 3 hours on way,
    Rocky Ford Creek eastern WA.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Blog Entries

The closest fishing to my house is just a few miles. The Arkansas River runs right through town, and has stripers, white bass, hybrids, spotted bass, largemouth bass, carp, buffalo, gar, catfish, sauger, and paddlefish. I have been fishing it every weekend since the first of the year and catching fish every time out. I do fish for trout, but smallmouth bass is my favorite. The closest stream fishing for smallies is 1 1/2-2hours away. There are a couple of small reservoirs with smallies within an hour from here.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

1/2 mile for trout (going the long way)

jed

Back yard - depending on the season - bluefish, striper, croaker, white perch, spot, catfish.

My favorite species - smallies, 30 minutes is the closest, but i generally end up going even farther to get to them.

About two miles for trout.

1/4 mi. to some very brackish water stripers + a very few "incidental" other denizens.
    Gotta check the GPS for sure, but it's over 1,000 mi to Wignes Lake NWT for northerns....our "right now" favorites.
    .....lee s.
    PS - Not to diminish the pleasure of the "anything that pulls on the string" outlook we have on FF'ing.

Warren,

You simply need to drive faster!!!! I can make it to El Paso area in 1:15 and your not that much farther west! ;^)

Tight Lines!

Mark

Not to diminish the pleasure of the "anything that pulls on the string" outlook we have on FF'ing.
    Lee, I'm appreciating this attitude more and more. I'm a trout "junkie," but I have a 9 year old son who likes to flyfish with me, who hasn't yet learned the "in's and out's" of controlling line and drag on a moving trout stream. So flyfishing for panfish on a summer evening after a quick supper is where you'll often find us. We bring one rod, and take turns paddling the canoe and casting. It's tough to beat.

+ Reply to Thread