+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for Fly Tyer magazine

Blog Entries

Default question for Fly Tyer magazine

moderators, you may move this post if it belongs elsewhere, or remove it if it doesn't belong anywhere.

to my fellow fly tyers--in the current issue of Fly Tyer Magazine, Dave Hughes has a article about the Sawyer nymph--copper wire and pheasant tail fibers. Best Fishing Buddy asked me to make some for him, and i have had the very dickens of a time tying these. the wire never stops spinning on the hook, no matter how tightly or loosely i wind it. i have solved the problem by putting a bit of thread wrap on the hook, but that's not my question...

my question is how do you go about contacting Fly Tyer Magazine? i would like very much to ask Mr. Hughes for some advice, especially since this fly is suggested for beginners, but that seems not to be possible. There is no invitation in the magazine to write to the editor, either by snail or e-mail. There is no address given. The website has no address , nor does it have the more common "contact us" link. the forum associated with the website was put up before Christmas and apparently abandoned by the management. all of the postings are by the members, and postings directed to the management remain unanswered.

have you any advice?
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Last edited by mcsteff; 03-14-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Normand Guest

you could always insert one end of the wire into the eye of the hook to prevent the wire from turning around the hook shank. then just pull it out of the eye an continue tying the fly

http://www.fresnoflyfishers.org/fly_...nth/dec_07.pdf

As for contacting FlyTyer, there is a Contact Us link on the bottom of the page, mcsteff posted it for you along with some others, I'm guessing you just missed it when you looked before, there were a bunch of links down there.

As far as tying with the wire, I just messed around with it a bit to see if I could make it work. It seemed like a few tight wraps and then some looser ones worked best. I also figured out leaving a longer than normal tag end where you start the wire allows you to hold this tag while you wrap the wire. Since you're holding one end, as long as your wraps are tight you can tie without the wire spinning on the body. I also came across this video when I searched. It starts after the wire is already attached, but it was pretty cool to me so I figured I'd share in case you hadn't seen it yet. It sort of looks like he did what I said, leaving a long tag to hold the wire in place while he formed the underbody shape. Then, once the body was formed and the wire was tight enough not to spin, he clipped the tag and tied the rest of the fly. It's possible the no-bobbin meathod might make it easier as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=416Os9V84n8

Here is what I do. I start my wire as I usually do with thread then just slide it back to the bend of the hook. I then wide wrap the wire, slide it back and so on. By the time I have it wrapped to the thorax it is pretty well set. By the way sawyer used red wire and it was almost as thin as a human hair. The thinner the wire the easier it is to use. Most folks use a wire that is to heavy. Also he did not tie anything smaller than a 16. I also use a bobbin as I am to cheap to rip off a foot long piece and and only use part of it.

Last year I got some very thin wire at Blue Ribbon Flies in W. Yellowstone and it works on a Sawyers Nymph very well. It comes on small metal bobbins that I use in a small bobbin used for Pearsall's silk.
    Last edited by narcodog; 03-15-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Starting at the hook bend and wrapping forward
    with one hand while holding the tag end of wire
    at the bend works great for me. By the time I
    get to the front and then start back and start
    building the thorax the wire holds without spinning
    just fine. At that point I just let go of the tag
    end and concentrate on bulding the body.
    For me holding onto the tag end until your
    well on your way back down the hook with
    the second layer of wraps is the trick.
    Like Oliver Edwards said , the pheasant
    tail nymph as tied by Frank Sawyers is
    a master stroke. So simple yet so
    effective. I really liked seeing that atricle
    in the new issue.

Blog Entries

thanks to those who posted links. if i wanted to advertise or subscribe, those links are fine. there is no address or e-mail given to write a letter to the editor.

and thanks for the hints. skinny wire and about 10 turns of skinny thread under the thorax are just the ticket. and man! even i can turn them out by the dozen. i think i've finally found my niche.

sometimes the fibers split as i fold them back to the front for the wing case. methinks this is going to make it look like something is juuuust about to hatch.
    Last edited by CaseyP; 03-15-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?Ite...tent&task=view

I would start with the 800 number listed at the bottom of the page under product info/back issues...there are also several editor email links on the page...hopefully someone will help you out.

Normand Guest

casey

dave klausmeyer is the editor and he posts on the fly tyer forum just like you do. why not try to reach him there??

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    the wire never stops spinning on the hook, no matter how tightly or loosely i wind it.
    have you any advice?
    hold the tag end of the wire like it says in step 1 & 2 and there probably wont be any problems after that
    Last edited by Normand; 03-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries

brhoff--thanks for your posting. i have seen that page several times, but saw no links. today i just clicked on the name, and a notice popped up: "...the default mail client is not properly installed." huh? anyway, today also the e-mail address appeared way down on the lower left of the screen. i've copied it and will send a message there. thanks.

Normand--Mr. Klausmeyer's last post on Fly Tyer's forum was dated Dec. 22, 2009. there is no PM function over there, either. too bad, 'cause there is a lot of good information and it's a very attractive forum.

i have no difficulty holding the wire tag when building the wire underbody, but because i tie everything on a rotary, winding the wire+fiber bundle results in the whole underbody rotating on the hook. 6 winds of tying thread under the thorax cured it, but it was maddening at the time! thanks for your help

hmm...another thought: last week i had a bandage on my right forefinger. do bandages affect the pressure on the thread (or in this case the wire), d'you suppose?
    Last edited by CaseyP; 03-16-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: sudden idea occurred to me

+ Reply to Thread