+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellowstone guide recommendations

1. Default Yellowstone guide recommendations

Planning a trip to theYellowstone area August 14 and looking for recommendations for a guide service for a 1 day float trip. I would like to fish either the Yellowstone or Madison. Those of you who have fished either or both please give me some guidance here. Only have 1 day to float so I want to make it a good one. Looking for as much info as possible. Will be staying between Gardiner and Livingston. Thanks.

cf51

Tom Travis out of Livingston is the best, he won't be 'home' until June, I can give you contact information if you want.
    Warm Regards,
    LadyFisher

In addition to Parks Flyshop, I'd also recommend Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone. http://www.blueribbonflies.com/

Had great service and the guide we hired was professional, patient with my son, took good care of us.
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

pls see PM
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

With the road construction in the park which will limit travel from 8:00-10:00PM daily and produce half hour delays even when open, you're going to want to fish the Yellowstone, especially since we're looking at the likelihood of low water which will make getting out early a good idea and will likely send a lot of boats from further west to the Madison --the Bitterroot, Clark Fork, Blackfoot, Beaverhead, and Big Hole are all likely to be either totally closed or have significant restrictions then.

The Yellowstone may well have restrictions on it, too. Typically in low water years we have a couple weeks where some portion of the river shuts down at 2:00PM. This depends on weather that hasn't happened yet, but I'm expecting to be starting my trips early and quitting early in August this year, even if there aren't any closures. I expect to be floating Yankee Jim Canyon a lot, as long as it's still high enough (above 2000cfs or so). I'm one of the few guides who does it, and the deeper, heavier water close to the bank coupled with lack of pressure will keep the fish rising well to big attractors and terrestrials later in the summer than elsewhere. The shadows and highly-oxygenated water also help.

There are also some lakes and reservoirs around which fish well regardless of snow pack. We're talking Montana of course.

Fixed your post:

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    I expect to be floating Yankee Jim Canyon a lot, as long as it's still high enough (above 2000cfs or so). I'm one of the few fising guides who does it and so far have lived to tell about it, and the deeper, heavier water close to the bank coupled with lack of pressure will keep the fish rising well to big attractors and terrestrials later in the summer than elsewhere. The shadows and highly-oxygenated water from all the white water also help.
    Just kidding...that's actually a great section of the river.

Craig Matthews and company from Blue Ribbon FLies in West Yellowstone, MT. Top notch. http://www.blueribbonflies.com/

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Like Kelly and Jeff, I'd highly recommend Blue Ribbon if I was in the area; great folks and an outstanding shop. I just wouldn't recommend trying to get to that side of the park from Paradise Valley to meet up with a guide at 8 AM unless the Yellowstone/Gardiner/Lamar Valley were shut down; if it's a replay of 2007 everybody will have to be creative and flexible.

Regards,
    Scott

10. Default

Thanks guys for all the information. I went ahead and booked a trip with Walter out of Park's Fly Shop. He gave me a lot of good info in an e-mail.

+ Reply to Thread