+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paint for soft foam...

Default Paint for soft foam...

Could anyone recommend a paint to dip soft foam bodies into...maybe just the bottom 2/3 to prevent moisture absorption and for color? It's for a popper body.

Blog Entries

The acrylic craft paints should do it I would think. Acrylic is supposed to be water proof once dry.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

To me "soft foam" is probably open cell polyurethane which makes a nice sponge but not a very good dry fly. Why not use closed cell foam? Old flip flops work great and you can use spray paint to color or felt tips.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Imaxfli,

Uncle Jesse brings up a good point.

First, if you want it to float, make sure it's a closed cell foam.

Next, you want to paint the ENTIRE body of any foam popper if assisting floatation is part of the goal. Even some of the closed cell foams, flip flop, craft, whatever, can and will absorb some water and can sink. An alternative to painting, if you just don't want to bother, is to use a permanent water proofing liquid (Watershed or similar stuff).

Acrylic craft paint, availalbe at WalMart, any hobby or craft type store, even some grocery stores now, will be water proof once dry. The craft shops have a larger selection, and also have clear coats and clear with suspended glitter if you want a bit of flash. Any or all of these will 'seal' your foam body.

Be careful if you 'dip' your foam. Paint has weight to it, and a thick coat may be enough to effect how your body floats, maybe even cause it to sink. A couple of coats applied with a cheap craft brush will seal your body and not effect how it works.

You can also add color and markings with a permanent marker, then seal the body after that cures (at least an hour) with the clear acrylic.

Another option is a two part epoxy top coat. Most epoxies of this type are flexible enough to work with the foam, and provide a durable water tight seal. As with the paint, though, be careful how much you use. Epoxy is a 'solid' and cures from heat, not evaporation. What you put on, as far as weight goes, is pretty much what you get.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Blog Entries

I use acrylic paints on my foam most of the time. Sometimes I use paint pens though.

+ Reply to Thread