+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mutated genetic supertrout developed in lab

Does the line "just because we can, doesn't mean we should" ring a bell?

Amen! Absolutely bizarre, can you imagine driving through the European countryside and having them standing in the road? As in "Cattle Crossing"? Just too strange.

Blog Entries

The rule of unintended consequences applies here. Asian Carp were supposed to clean up weeds in closed environment "fish farms", until flooding set them free. Genetically modified corn wasn't supposed to spread to adjoining fields, now it's DNA is present in every field of corn in this state. The DNA of hatchery raised Rainbow trout is present in every existing strain of native wild trout in the US [unless there is some undiscovered population in some mountain meadow out west] Wild Salmon are now being subjected to the intermixing of the farm reared fish set free by the latest earthquakes and tsunamis off the coast of Chile. The telling comment here was; "just because we can, should we?"

The anthropocentric idea that we have complete dominion and control of spaceship earth is hubris of the first degree. That this Frankenfish could be released into the existing population is another example of that very fact. After Trout do we enhance Cod and Tuna and Mackerel and whales, so Japan doesn't have to sacrifice as many for scientific reasons? Where does it lead? Where does it stop?

One thing I am sure of; If one part of the system is unsustainable, the entire system is unsustainable.

This is a very troubling and thought provoking event, just one more in a long line of messing with Mother Nature. It scares me.

Corvus
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

Blog Entries

I wonder where it will end. Will Tyson's chicken breed double-muscled chickens? If so, will they still have "tenders"? Will the French follow up their historic successes by breeding double-muscled snails? Will some eco-terrorist organization seed the Everglades with double-muscled pythons? Will some Vanderbilt researcher breed double-muscled linemen in another attempt at a winning football season for Vandy?

Ed, who thinks that there is potential for some very good, bad science fiction afoot.

I would rather them focus on a cure for my double muscled gut. If I spread my fingers out and push hard enough I too have somethind resembling a six pack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Amen! Absolutely bizarre, can you imagine driving through the European countryside and having them standing in the road? As in "Cattle Crossing"? Just too strange.

Suddenly I have a mental image of some farmer in gum boots/wellies trodding slowly through a flooded rice paddy will his team of double-muscled carp pull the plow...
    Creative? Naw, just weird...

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Of course, they could also be major disaster.
    I think that down the road this is the most likely outcome. In my opinion, people need to stop playing God because they can and direct their energies towards protecting what we have left and restoring what we've already lost.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Blog Entries

geee and this from my home state. i hope it doent happen. not all rhode islanders are bonkers nope we are just nuts.

+ Reply to Thread