+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leather fly wallets

Default leather fly wallets

ok i am thinking about making some leather wallets ...however ..i have never tried this ...so i need to know if there is a page or a tutioral (spell check..lol) on how to do this ..or it anyone has made them how did it turn out ....it is just something diffrent !!!.i seen michel simone on t.v. yesterday an i got to thinking about wallets ...so there it is ..yes i know i can buy them ...i just like to try my hand
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

Normand Guest

GOOGLE found this in .22 seconds

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...&q=fly+wallets

check out the first link

Default Tandy leather

Tandy was always the source for leathercraft goods when I was growing up.
    Check out their CD case. About the right size, and a good place to start. $40 though. Of course, you could always just buy the materials and design your own. If you have a farmer's merchantile around, (they are getting rarer, these days) they usually have a few leather goods on hand.

I can see using a wallet for streamers or even foam flies, but it seems like it would be kind of rough on any hackled flies you put in it.

Kirk

These are cool!!
    http://www.flywallets.com/

Blog Entries

A few years ago, Tandy Leather folded. Some of you may have noticed that all the stores went away. For a while, you could order stuff online and that eventually went away. The Leather Factory, a fairly recent competitor to Tandy Leather, bought the name and rights to brand names and exclusive publications. They have re-opened retail stores as Tandy Leather. You can buy at wholesale, sort of. They also have group discounts for Scouts and other worthy groups. The offerings are expanded and there is a greater range of tools available now. Leather is still expensive, but there are options available to the average craftsman that were not available 10 or 15 years ago.

If any of you are interested in making cases, pick up Al Stohlman's 3 book series on "Making Leather Cases". There is no better information anywhere on the subject.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I'll second the motion of Stohlman's Making Leather Cases book. One of the three publications has a pattern for a fly wallet that has pages to wrap the leaders to.
    Also, if you really really want to do some nice stuff get the small book called Lacing and Stitching for the Leathercrafter. Hopefully they still make that one. I'm sure you can find lacing and stitching tutorials on yootoobee if you look.
    I have made a few fly wallets but I don't like using them. I like making gun rigs, and I end up using the plastic pill boxes for flies.
    li
    btw, a fun place to look for stuff is the upholstery supply store. There's one here near me in the PHX that has manly stuff like seatbelt webbing and 2" velcro for a buck and a quarter a yard, and all the little snappy clippy things you cant' find at the fabric store.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Mine seems just the right proportions:

Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread