+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Any of You Pipe Smokers?

If you see me on stream and I don't have a pipe in my teeth, then you must be seeing some one else 'cause that ain't me. Captain Black Royal ( blue ). On stream I usually smoke the cheapest pipe I can find, sometimes corncobs. Started doing that right after I dropped a NICE 3 day old pipe in some fast water. After that I have never lost a pipe on stream yet. You never loose the cheapies.
    AgMD

Hey, it's nice to see several other pipe smokers! Like Midstream, I prefer English blends, although mine is usually Squadron Leader. But I'll smoke most anything that's not "tutti-fruiti." My on-stream pipes are 2 older Peterson's, an old Kaywoodie with a wind cap, or sometimes a cob. My good pipes stay at home. If Mrs. BlackDog ever knew how much we've got invested in pipes I'd be in deep trouble. But I know most fly anglers can relate to that in one way or another.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

blackdog,

I use to smoke a pipe pretty regularly when I was in college. I liked the smell of the tobacco. I tried a variety of differnet tobaccos but I remember that I liked Half and Half, London Dock and on occasion.....huh never mind about that one. While I enjoyed the smoke, I also believed that it made me look older and more sophisticated. Now that I'm older but not more sophisticated, I eat Tootsie Pops in an effort to look younger 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

After quitting cigarettes 25 years ago, I'd hate to start another addiction. The idea has always appealed to me though.

Ahhh: Captain Black Royale.

Didn't smoke while on the water but enjoyed it in the vehicle on the way to and from my fishing spot. Then after a day of fishing, would sit out on the deck behind my house with some Grande Marnier or Southern Comfort and a bowl of tobacco.

But I'm from Canada and then the sin tax hit. Used to be 8.00 for a pouch. Then $17.00, now $22.00. So I layed off but do treat myself now and then in the summer. Enjoy cigars now and then too.

Was a cigarette smoker 25 years ago and quit. Later on in years I picked up my pipe but I'm carefull not to inhale so I can take it or leave it if I want. I don't have the addiction that I had. Haven't had a puff since October and have been doing it this way for several years. But since the price went up, I just don't buy it near as much.

[This message has been edited by big brown (edited 26 January 2006).]

I quit all tobacco Feb. 6, 1979 at 2:30. I smoked from the age of 16 thru 36.Went to a "strict" high school that had a junior/ senior smoking lounge. Seniors were even allowed to smoke in class during exams. Go figger. I smoked cigarettes, pipe and cigars. There were times,since, that I was tempted to try a pipe again but thankfully I fought off the urge. I am now a non smoker as opposed to an anti smoker. If'n you wanna kill yourself, thats entirely your business.
    I've heard pipe smoking referred to as a "higher form of enjoyment". I'll just take your word for it.

Mark

I've smoked a pipe for maybe 20 years but only a couple dozen bowls a year. Mostly after fishing or a day afield. I enjoy the smoke most when I have time to kick back and reflect on the day's events. I usually get a mixture called #10, a smooth coconut flavor. I have several pipes, some Corsican Brier some English bent Brier. The older they are the better they smoke!
    I've tried to smoke while on the stream but tryin to trick a trout takes too much attention to deal with the pipe.
    It's not a habit, just a treat!
    Ron

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I have a collection of around 20 pipes that I've acquired in my world travels. A Calabash from England, 2 Petersons from Ireland, a few from Greece, Italy, several E.A.Careys and a few corn-cobs. I even have 2 beautiful hand-carved meerschaums.

All my tobacco that I smoke comes from E.A. Careys. My favorites are Full-Bodied Vanilla, Cherry-Creme, and the ultimate.....Grandma's Apple Pie! I also smoke non-aromatic as well, leaning towards blends heavy with Latakia, Perique and Virginia.

If you haven't checked them out, take a look at E.A.Careys, Premier and Thompsons, websites. [url=http://www.eacarey.co.uk/:2f900]http://www.eacarey.co.uk/[/url:2f900] [url=http://www.premierpipes.com/default.htm:2f900]http://www.premierpipes.com/default.htm[/url:2f900] [url=http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?sid=ahiwapy050golmilvpvhj0qp:2f900]http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?sid=ahiwapy050golmilvpvhj0qp[/url:2f900]

Semper Fi!

In my early twenties I got started in pipe smoking and over time collected over 100 pipes. My pipes of choice were the freehand style like Preban Holms (sp?). I regularly smoked Iwan Reis's Three Star Blue. I stopped smoking pipes in my late twenties. About 3 years ago I sold all but one pipe on ebay and was shocked at the amount of $ people were willing to pay for them, especially, my Preban Holms. He had passed away and his pipes were one of a kind that collectors could not get enough of. Within the last couple of years I began to smoke pipes again, but only a few times a year. I have enough $ locked up in vices that I don't need another draining my wallet.

[This message has been edited by TyroneFly (edited 26 January 2006).]
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Marco, I think the thread was about who smokes a pipe, not who wants a former smoker to give you the go kill yourself pitch. Used to smoke a pipe, but now enjoy the cigars, all in moderation.

+ Reply to Thread