+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 Thoughts?

Default Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 Thoughts?

Sorry to keep posting so many questions. I'm trying to decide what / if any boat to buy.

The Old Town Canoe option looks like it's not going to work.

Most of my fishing will be solo. Even though I'd like a boat to take my son along, the truth is 80% of my fishing is solo. Dragging a 75lb canoe out of the water and hoisting it to the top of the van may sound like a good idea, but after a day's fishing when I'm tired and it's almost dark or after dark in reality just sounds like I'm asking for trouble.

I've been looking at SOT kayaks. This one seems to be very stable (according to reviews).

What are your thoughts on this boat? Anyone own one, what did you like / dislike?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Jeff,
    I've been looking over a hybrid canoe for a while now myself.
    I believe the Ultimate boat is more of a canoe than a kayak....a canoe with some small kayak influences.
    Late last summer I test-paddled one on a small lake. I must say I was impressed. I could even stand up in it. The seat was the most comfortable I've ever sat on in a canoe or kayak. The boat maneuvered very well and was super-stable. I tried rocking it pretty hard (while sitting of course!) and was impressed with stability. It turned decent and has a nice lay-out. Plenty of room for gear, etc, and I like the "openess" of the floor for a fly caster (think fly line piling up in the floor in front of you) as there was not alot of junk for the line to catch on. Much better layout (to me anyhow) than a SOT yak. Drawbacks, yep. I have concerns about the low sides and water coming over them in rapids. My fishing is mainly done in rivers. The boat is NOT self-bailing like a SOT yak. There are spray skirts for the front and rear but they are really pricey, and would make it harder to access gear easily. A sponge and/or cup would need to be carried to bail water if it came aboard. Another drawback (for me) was/is the price. The Ultimate boats are pricey in comparison to other canoes/SOT yaks. That's a lot of dough for a working-class family man for a solo hard boat.
    That being said, I'm still considering one myself. I've waited over the winter and would like to test-paddle one on moving water before I commit. I'm hoping to rent one for 1/2 day this spring before I make a decision. River current can make a big difference in handling in comparison to still lake waters.
    Also, take a look at Wilderness Systems new Commander 120 hybrid before you commit to the Ultimate. It "appears" that WS has decided to jump on board the hyrid wagon too after the success of the Ultimate series of boats. The Commander has a couple features that are unique, like the ability to sit a little higher in the "captains" chair (molded into the thwart above the normal seat). I've not seen the Commander in person nor an actual price tag on one, but I hope to check one out well before I commit to a hard boat to add to my fleet.
    Mark 1:17

Jeff,
    I have to agree with DarrinG's reply. I started looking for a kayak about 2 yrs ago when I got tired of fighting the summertime moss in a float tube. I looked at a lot of different boats and almost pulled the trigger on several other brands during my search. I found myself comparing them to the Native Ultimate 12 and decided to pass each time. I wanted a stable boat that I could fly fish out of comfortably and stand up if needed. For me the price tag was a big factor but I was determined not to buy something that I wouldn't be satisfied with. It took me 18 months to save up enough money to buy an Ultimate 12 and I bought it last summer. I am more than pleased with my choice. The seat is the most comfortable on the market and is even better with the seat riser installed so you can set up higher and see better with minimal loss of stability. It is not a "whitewater" boat but it will handle some pretty rough water just fine. It's not a speed demon but tracks extremely well with the optional rudder. I have been very deliberate about what accessories that I added to keep the weight down and keep it as portable as possible. There are 3 accessories that I feel are must have to get total enjoyment from the boat, the rudder, seat riser and an anchor trolley. I would highly recommend this boat.

Doug

Jeff,
    I have been paddling an Ultimate 12 on rivers and lakes for a couple of years now. Great boat: easy to maneuver, easy to put on the top of the suv, and holds enough stuff for a five day river trip. My friends liked it so much that one bought a tandem for him and his son and the other bought a 12 footer. We fish with fly and spinner equipment. Our new Native group is called "the half fast river rats."
    Craig in windy Kansas

I went to my local kayak shop, and test drove a WS Tarpon, and the Ultimate. The Ultimate is about a $100 more than the Tarpon, but it is well worth every penny of that. I nearly fell asleep in the lazy boy they have for the seat. The boat is rock soild also. I had tried to rock the boat, and the pontoon style hull kept the boat upright. GOOD JOB NATIVE.

I been fishing out Ultimate 12 for almost 3 years and would not have it any other way. I also had a top of the line canoe, pontoon and star raft, they dont come near close to my Ulimate for anything. I regretted wasting my money on the crafts! Dont make the mistakes like I did before hand.

+ Reply to Thread