+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly weights

Default fly weights

Hi All;

On heavily weighted patterns that are meant to sink quickly in moving water, does anyone actually weigh them?

Is there are target weight for different size flies to get them to sink?

Does weight become an issue with what line weight can cast a certain weight fly?

Thanks in advance;

Wayne

I do not weigh them.

The rate at which a fly will sink is dependent on more than the weight. Total density and bulk and buoyancy of the materials of the fly will affect sink rate.

Weight an bulk of a fly will affect casting. Since the flyline mass carries the fly along during the cast, heavier lines are needed for heavier flies. Bulky flies have more air resistance than thus also require a heavier line to cast effectively. Its much easier to cast a size 10 cone head woolly bugger with 6wt line than a 1wt line. Some of the giant clouser minnows I use in the saltwater are on 4/0 to 6/0 size hooks and use 1/8 oz lead eyes. Cant cast them with a 6wt line, need at least a 12wt and 14wt equivalent works better.

With experience, each tyer/angler will determine which flies they can comfortably cast with which range of line weights.

I only weight certain patterns, some I just use a bead others I use lead or lead free wire, others I weight with a bead and lead wire. If I am going to tie for polish nymphing I would weight as heavily as I possibly can, if I am tying to fish deep but slow I will weight minimally with just a bead or a tiny bit if wire. if I am fishing still waters or higher in the column I use no weight at all. For me it all depends on the target species and what I am trying to accomplish with a fly. As for will weight affect casting....... by all means yes. I tie sculpins on a #6 2x nymph hook and add medium dumbbell eyes. most often times I fish the with a 4wt. and it is WWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY underlined for that heavy of a fly. really need a 6wt to cast it effectively but it can be done.

Steve

Bass_Bug Guest

I think one of the things Wayne is asking is does anyone weigh them on a scale? As in how much does a size whatever of a so & so pattern actually weigh? So many grams or hundredths of an once etc.

I guess you would need a scale to weigh grams and ounces, but if you have one of those scales I hope you use it for things other than drugs.

Hi All;

Bass Bug: you are correct, I'm wondering if anyone actually checks the weight of flies and adjusts the weight and/or has a target weight in mind for certain water conditions.

Now days, digital scales that measure weight in grains are very inexpensive, I think I paid $25.00 for one on ebay. I initially purchased it to weigh some fly lines I had that I didn't know what weight they were and also compare various lines of "equal" line weights to see where they are in the range a particular line weight.

The idea behind this topic comes from some of the tying directions for flies, you know this pattern calls for 10 turns of .010 lead, the next 6 turns of .015 lead etc. etc. I'm curious if anyone ever determined if the weight worked under the conditions they fish or if not, changed the weighting process and weighed the difference.

As an example, I recently tied a bunch of size14 chili peppers and tied as recommended, they all weigh around 3.8 grains.

Wayne

I don't actually weigh them but I do count how many times I make a turn of wire and repeat it on every fly that I tie in that size and pattern that day..... really depends on what I have on my mind a #6 pickle might get 10 turns of .030 one day 8 turns the next and 12 turns the day after that. Unless I am tying for the shop and then I pay particular attention as to how many turns they get and record all of the particulars in a notebook that I have on my desk.

Steve

Smile

Even with an eight weight line for big bass I don't enjoy casting flies with brass eyes much over 1/50oz( not saying it can't be done). With a 4wt line we cast 1/110 oz marabou jigs for crappie and occationally for trout.

I use a scale like this when weighing my grandson's pinewood derby cars and when tested on race day by a tripple beam scale have always been right on.

Wayne

nunantal and for info for others
    I use the very same scale....although I never though of weighing flies as only have trout flies for now. But I weigh fly reels on it. Good little scale. Just fyi

Oh...I also have the $35 postal scale they sell at the post office. I prefer the little one from Harbor Freight.

+ Reply to Thread