+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Any of You Pipe Smokers?

Default Are Any of You Pipe Smokers?

In years past, many fly anglers were also pipe smokers. Do any of you smoke a pipe? I do, and find there are several points of commonality between the two. Both can be very contemplative, and both require a little extra work as compared to the way most people pursue fishing or smoking. Also, some pipe smokers can be as protective of their pipes as cane anglers can be of their rods. If you are a pipe smoker, what do you smoke?

I don't use tobacco but I've heard it said that a pipe is a good thing. It gives a wise man something to contemplate and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

Rusty <><

------------------
    "PC" is for Plant City not Politically Correct. if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

The last time I smoked a pipe was.......
    Oh never mind. *S*
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

blackdog1101,

I smoke a pipe and use Captain Black in the white can. I do not get real picky about the pipe since I smoke the pipe for the addiction only and not the enjoyment! I have had other fly fisherman on the river tell me that I am the first fly fisherman they have seen that can light a pipe and set the hook at the same time!

For those on this board that are getting readly to jump on me for smoking, I do not intend to defend my "vise". We all have them and mind just so happens is easily seen and yours is not.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I've tried it, but it makes me hungry for Doritos with clam dip
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I smoke a pipe. In it I like Black or
    Vanilla Cavendish tobaccos.
    Working Trout Bum

I don't smoke a pipe but when I fish with WarrenP I LOVE to smell him smoke his. I think pipes smell great! And for those of you doubting WarrenP-I've seen him light a pipe and set the hook at the same time HAHA! Truly amazing!

------------------
    -Brandon

I smoke a pipe occasionally. I have some good pipes I bought years ago, huge Canadians, billiards. bents and a bench made free hand. I don't like the "punch and judy" tobaccos I go with one of the big three....PA, 1/2 & 1/2 or Velvet. Oh and I do like a British pure Virginia.

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 26 January 2006).]

I am a pretty devoted pipe smoker. I have several old posters of fly fisherman smoking pipes. I definately equate the two together. I smoke primarily Dunhill billiards and bents mostly 120's and LBs and Bulldogs. I prefer Balkan Sobranie tobacco and in the absence of that any strong latakia English blend.

Blackdog1101;
    Warrenp is da Man!! I don't smoke a pipe but may take it up again. Couldn't stand all those holes burnt in my shirts and sweaters but I'm retired now and don't really care!! Good info here on blends.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

+ Reply to Thread