+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Locations in the Cheyenne WY area

Default Fishing Locations in the Cheyenne WY area

Hi Need some suggestions. I am planning to be in the Cheyenne area in the spring and would like to plan for some fishing near there. Appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks Dave

Spike, I grew up in Cheyenne, and good fishing close is pretty scarce. West of Cheyenne heading to Laramie was pretty good. Little fish but willing. Problem you have to know the country. Laramie is 45 miles away, the Platte River flows through Laramie. Ive never tried it. Wish I could be more help.

The N. Platte does not exactly flow through Laramie but is within a couple hours drive of there. The Laramie river flows through there. If you are willing to drive, you can find fishing - better near Laramie as mentioned. You might try the fly shops in Laramie.

Clyde
    Cheyenne is actually a half-way marker between San Jose CA and Ann Arbor MI. My son and I are planning a trip with that as our "home base". Besides Laramie what else should we consider. Thanks for your input. Dave

There are streams in the Snowy Range west of Laramie.
    I have fished around the towns of Encampment and Riverside (even farther west) but it has been many many years....don't remember much about it except my brother and I did catch fish.
    As others have stated the immediate area around Cheyenne is pretty barren of trout water.

If you are going to be there in the spring....some of the streams in the snowy range may npt be fishable....especailly since you cant drive over the pass (a wonderful drive which I havent done in ten years and miss)....not sure how the Laramie River fishes at that time of the year but in all likelyhood that may be your best bet.

By the way...Wyoming has only two seasons...Summer and Winter.....cant say that I remember what Spring was like when I was there which were two years of partying at UW but I sure as heck dont remember seeing much for spring.....LOL

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

The closest fishing opportunity to Cheyenne that I'm aware of is Curt Gowdy State Park located just North of Interstate 80, between Cheyenne and Laramie. There are two lakes and some small streams in the park that do get planted by the DOW. April's iffy in Wyoming; one moment it's sunny and warm, the next you've got a full blown high plains snow storm blowing at 60 mph, (you can also get the 60 mph when it's sunny and warm).

If you have time and transportation, the North Platt river at Grey Reef is a world class fishery with plenty of fish that go over 20 inches and up to 8 lbs. The Reef is located about 40 miles SW of Casper near the small town of Alcova.

The photo was taken on the Reef on Tuesday of this week and is an average size fish for the area. She was taken on a size 20 split-foamback midge pattern trailed behind a size 14 Rusty Scud.

There are several fly shops in the Casper area that can give you information including the Ugly Bug in Casper; and Grey Reef Outfitters in Alcova; [url=http://www.crazyrainbow.net/:e7d32]http://www.crazyrainbow.net/[/url:e7d32] and [url=http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/flyshopsnorthplatte.html:e7d32]http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/flyshopsnorthplatte.html[/url:e7d32]

If you need more info, drop me a line.

------------------
    Dan S
    The poster formerly known as Outrider

[This message has been edited by Grizzly Wulff (edited 28 January 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Grizzly Wulff (edited 28 January 2006).]
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

+ Reply to Thread