+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carp?

Default carp?

Okay, I can almost gaurentee that no one will respond yes, but does anyone on here fly fish for carp?

My buddy an I do not specificaly target them but we occationally find some tailing
    while fishing for bass . We catch them on
    a crayfish pattern that they can't seem to resist. My largest carp last year was an estimated 17 lb

Well im glad to see someone does. Carp oftn get a bad rap, despite the fact they can grow to huge sizes and are in 99.99% of waters in the US. I am one of those people who likes every type of fish. I even fish for wild koi(which are the same species as carp)

Yes carp sure have a way of ignoring your bait. I would reccomend chuming corn(a lot, too)I have fished for carp that will dart away at the sound of a load whisper(literally)

Absolutely.If I can get a shot at them I take it.The summer of 2004 we had large hatch of the 17 year cicadas here in the mid atlantic region.That was some of the best carping ive ever had.Caught many on a small black gurgler dry fly.Carp are some of the hardest fish to fool.Anybody can learn some lessons about stalking fish by persuing them.They are smart,grow large and fight hard,everything a good gamefish should be.

I don't target them but I catch a few on one of my favorite smallmouth creeks and am delighted every time it happens. I tell folks that playing trout is more like a boxing match but dealing with carp is a street fight. I've been collecting a series of recipes for carp specific fly patterns and plan on being better prepared to take advantage of this great fishing opportunity this year when the cottonwood seeds and mulberries are dropping on the water.

------------------
    Joe B
    SW Ohio

"I grew up in PA, I work in Ohio. My heart still belongs to PA."
    Joe Bertolini

You'll find lots of carp fans over at the Warmwater Board.

There's also a FF board here:

[url=http://www.carpanglersgroup.com:b646f]www.carpanglersgroup.com[/url:b646f]

[This message has been edited by deathb4disco (edited 28 January 2006).]

I took my new Cabala's fly fishing catalog with me to work today so I could look thru it at lunch. They had some flies listed in it that were just for carp.

Rusty <><

------------------
    "PC" is for Plant City not Politically Correct. if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

I have a "special" carp fly.

Yes, really.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

I fish for them regularly

+ Reply to Thread