+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made stripping baskets

Default Home made stripping baskets

I am thinking about making my own stripping basket for use while wading and fishing streamers for trout. I was wondering if anybody has made their own. If so, are there any things that you've learned through trial and error that you may want to share? How aabout any ideas on the topic in general?
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

I know there's a lot on this subject on the web, so you can probably google the topic. Also, there might be
    a demonstration on building a basket on youtube.

I've used many stripping baskets. If I'm making short casts on a small stream I generally go with a collapseable, William Joseph basket, as I don't think
    having cones in my basket is critical.

If, however, I'm making longer casts, I've found the Orvis basket to be by far the best. To me, tangles in my line is the biggest hassle in fishing, therefore,
    I never had the urge to build my own basket. I don't see how I could do better than the Orvis. It's worth the money I spent for it.

Randy

This one is always in by pack since it is collapsable: http://www.flyfishbasket.com/basket.htm

In the boat I want an Orvis one too. Here is some good info on building your own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypqmwLQbZU

http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/flyfish...pingbasket.htm

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbette...pping-baskets/

Lots of stuff on the web

I've seen folks use laundry baskets for this. Economical enough I guess, but man, it sure is comical to see someone astream with a laundry basket strapped to his waist.
    Last edited by T.Goodwin; 03-02-2010 at 09:49 PM.

I made mine with a Rubbermaid dish pan http://www.housewaresandbeyond.com/p...Blue-Mist.html Cut slots to run a web belt through (you can use bungee cord, too although that doesn't hold it on your hips as well); fingers/cones optional but I find it helps to keep tangles down (as does a little water in the bottom of the basket; that's why I don't drill drain holes) - I tried mono, heavy duty weed trimmer line, but found the best thing to use is zip-tie strips. Total cost was about $8.00; wouldn't think of fishing from a boat or beach/jetty without one.

Regards,
    Scott

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default I've got those dish pan hands too.

I'm in the same camp as ScottP.

I've got them with and without holes. Mine use 125 lb. shock tippet for loops and they all have split, nylon web wading belts ( with fused end ) and quick release buckles. They're attached to the pan with sets of small brass nuts, bolts and washers.
    They really fit well into the bottom of a travel bag or a garment bag for airline travel too.

Best, Dave

Homemade stripping basket, Trout & Streamer.
    Last edited by Dave E; 03-03-2010 at 01:03 PM.

I also like to collapsable nylon mesh bags for fishing in fresh water. It's one thing to walk around with a laundy basket or dish pan strapped to your side when you're fishing in the ocean and another thing entirely when you're picking your way through brush. Either one will catch brush and branches, but the collapsable basket is much easier to get out ot the way. I've been using a stripping basket for fresh water fishing, especially around ponds and lakes for bass and bream, for about ten years and I can't imagine being without one. As far as how you'd make one, I'm sure it could be figured out, but for my money the $35 to $40 is money well spent for a good quality product that will last you for years. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Jim Smith

I use a homemade number, too. Dishpan type thing from KMart with weedwacker line in the bottom, held on with a nylon belt. I took a heat gun to one side and molded it to be concave so it rides nicely on my waist. I only use it for saltwater and in the cockpit of my kayak. I've never had a fish laugh yet.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Thumbs up

I've made 6 or 8 over the years, both solid and perforated, with both weed wacker loops and zip tie fingers, but I've settled on this design.
    The 'cones' are wire nuts, the largest I could find at the home store, and they're held with stainless flat head wood screws with washers and a little Goop to keep the springs from rusting.
    I never cared for the loops and finger as you couldn't store or carry anything in the basket without them collapsing

basket.jpg bottom.jpg

I should add that if you fish at night, white is by far the best color as it makes a good background for tying on flies
    Last edited by dudley; 03-03-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

+ Reply to Thread