+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-27-2010 poppers

Blog Entries

Default 2-27-2010 poppers

Alright I made a new batch of poppers, and here are my top three favorite paint jobs of those original ten. I hope you enjoy them. All I have done thus far are unique, none are the same. There are a couple here that I plan to copy and redo in the future. I think I will put these 3 in my good fly box, and those will eventually get put into my shadow box. (not enough good ones to fill the box yet)

Normand Guest

pretty flies but i think the hooking capability is diminished by the body.

Blog Entries

I used B10S stinger hooks for these, they finally came in. The poppers have size 1/0 hooks, and the sliders have 2/0 hooks. I still have not found the perfect hook yet. I thought when I ordered these they would work. For most of the poppers though, they should be okay, but they could be improved.

Blog Entries

Here are more popper pictures. The hook gap is improved from the other hooks. What do you think?

The last photo just shows the hook with the foam.

I think these are first class poppers Kelkay. These might have the best looking paint job I have seen. Excellent work.
    Steve

Kel,

You'll get a better hook gap if you trim the popper body flat under the shank before you paint.

They will also float at the proper attitude more consistently.

Buddy

Great looking flies. I thinik those big'ol Texas bass will love them to.

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for your kind words, and comments. Buddy what hook would you recommend for these sliders, so I won't have to trim? I am wanting to do some crease flies and pencil poppers too, in the near future. If I lived near a place that would let you try hooks...it sure would be nice...lol. I just knew the 2/0 B10S Gamakatsu hook would work. Now I am afraid to try a 3/0...it still might not be big enough. I have used most of the bigger foam pieces anyway. When I put the sliders on, they seemed big enough at the time. But looking at the pictures it makes me see they could of been a little different. The 3 flies I originally posted will be going in my shadow box soon, so I won't be fishing them. But I would like to know about hooks for future reference. I have heard about these CK52S, or CK74S SS for poppers and pencil poppers...but haven't tried them. I am not sure what size to order anyway. I don't like going above a 2/0 hook. 3/0 is about as high as I'd like to tie period. CK52S hook for popper, CK74S SS for salt water or pencil poppers is something I read that might work. Has anyone used these hooks?

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

kelkay:

I totally agree with Buddy: Trim the bottom. Just think how many bodies you can trim in the time you have spent searching for the "perfect"hook; which may, in fact, not exist. Attitude while resting on the surface, as Buddy mentions, is important for a successful bug. Now that you have a "dremel", you should be able to sand them flat in "no time flat" (the pun is intended!). A good fish filet knife should require only one cut to do the trick.

Frank

Blog Entries

Well I got the cheap rotary tool from Harbor Freight. Technically it isn't a Dremel, but it should work. I just didn't want to practice on a good foam popper. I would rather practice that when I have time on a piece of foam from the hobby shop. Thanks for your opinion. (the only problem I see is with sliders...the poppers look okay to me)

+ Reply to Thread