+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gatti fly rod

Default Gatti fly rod

I bought a gatti pa 3 piece 9ft 8wt a few years ago.This was a factory made rod that a friend of mine recommended for a discount price.I've only used the rod about a dozen times in the three years I've owned it.The second time I used the rod I was throwing streamers for steelhead and the fly hit the rod tip and broke it.I called Gatti in Montana and they said that the warranty was good for only one unconditional repair.
    They fixed the rod,which took forever to get back from Italy,for free.Last week I broke my tip again while steehead fishing.I'm not sure how it broke,but when I went to cast the tip was just dangling.I called up gatti to see how much it would cost to get it fixed and they said it would be 176.00 to fix the tip.I only paid 280.00 for the rod.I think this is one of the worst warranties on the market.Has anyone one else had any problems with gatti rods braking?There is no way I would ever buy another gatti again.The company won't stand behind there product.With sage,scott.loomis,winston.tfo,all good companys that stand behind there product,I can't see how gatti stays in business.I've asked a few guide friends of mine about gatti and they said they never heard of them.If anyone has had a good or bad experiences please let me know.
    thanks,lucky strike

Bass_Bug Guest

I've seen them before, but dont know much about them. You might try asking how much a replacement tip section of the blank would cost and wrap the guides (from your broken tip) yourself of have someone local do it fo you.

Here's the latest prices I found on their website.
    http://www.gattiflyfishing.it/pricelist2009.htm
    Did'nt see a 9' 8wt, but looks like about $230 range for entire blank.

EDIT: the 230 is Euro's, thats about $310 USD
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 02-26-2010 at 09:06 AM.

I don't see you complaint. You bought a $750 rod for $280 discounted price(assuming this is one of the older PA or perhaps even a FRHP), you break a tip and they fix it for free. You break a tip again and feel $176 is too much?? I'd pay to get the rod fixed myself, your still ahead of the game.

Ray,

I thought the same thing.

Lucky Strike,

It's not like the rod was defective. It's worked for years. You got it for well under retail. I'm surprised they fixed it the first time you broke it. Actualy reading the warranty card before you buy, even calling and making sure that what you think the warranty is and what it really is are the same before you buy, is prudent practice.

Few of the 'fixit no matter how it broke' warranties are really 'free repair/replace' anyway. There is almost always a fee involved. For many of the US based companies, it's often in the $50+ range.

It's an Italian made rod, so since it has to be shipped internationally, you'd expect it to cost more to get it done. If you are hard on your equipment, thinking about things like this before you buy is usually a good idea.

I see no problem with Gatti over this. All the reviews I've read about their rods have been positive, and I know quite a few custom builders that swear by their blanks.

It's okay to not like the rod. But paying $280 for a high end fly rod and expecting the company to repair or replace it for free every time you break it for the rest of your life is just not reasonable.

Sorry, but that's just how I see this.

Buddy

A warranty is a warranty. No matter what you paid.................UNLESS stipulated at the time of purchase that it is somehow changed. And I can see them rightfully changing it, but......

Just because I got $3000 off the last car I bought doesn't mean the warranty is anything less.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 02-26-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm lucky I only paid $280.00 for the rod.If I paid 700.00 for that rod I would expect it to be a little more durable.I use my sage xp 90% of the time and never had a problem with it.I used the gatti twelve times and broke the tip twice.The warranty said I would get a 60% discount on all warranty work after the first free repair.When I called gatti they said they didn't give the 60% discount on that model,so I would have to pay the full price to get it fixed.To tell you the truth I don't think the rod is worth 176.00.I'd pay 75.00 to have it fixed but in the back of my mind I'd be wondering when it was going to break again.Anyway I bought a used sage rplxi on ebay for 200.00 and I'm throwing the gatti in the trash.

Blog Entries

Talking

The only Gatti I have ever seen or cast is the one JC used to teach us newbs how to cast with. I absolutly love that Gatti. Somehow it just fits me and my rather odd casting style right. Now I find out that Z ( Steve ) has the exact same model as Jim's. Next fish in I'm going to get that one on a huge grab and run like hell discount sale.

If any of you have ever seen me run you know how far I'll get.

If I were you I'd get it fixed. For gosh sakes don't pitch it, if you're going to toss it then I'd suggest offering it to someone on here who would love to have it broken or not and will spend the bux to fix it up again.
    Gatti rods are expensive. I'd beg for it but I have no use for an 8wt.

Beadhead flies have done in two of my rods both were replaced under warantee no questions asked. Now I don't pitch beadheads I only troll with them instead.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 02-27-2010 at 05:15 AM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I'm sure that there are a number of us on the board that would be willing to pay shipping to tke the rod off your hands, instead of you throwing it in the trash...
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

I'm going to give the rod to a rod builder friend.If he wants to build a new tip section more power to him,I hope it last longer than it did for me.At least he'll get a new rod sock and case.
    Thanks for the comments.

Frankly, having you given the explanation about hitting the rod with your steelhead flies, I would highly suggest getting someone to help you with your casting. I'm not there so I can't help much, BUT you might try casting off slightly to the side instead of directly overhead. Really, have someone watch you cast and see if they can figure out what you are doing. That is an expensive bad habit. I wouldn't want to sell you a fly rod.
    Hugs,
    LF

+ Reply to Thread